• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 09 April 2022 - 05:36 PM

Vic, is your system is for a single carrier? Can you swap SIM cards?

On this trip, we have been in ATT only, Verizon only, and even T-Mobile only areas. My wife and I have dual SIM phones, so we both have T-Mobile and she has ATT and I have Verizon on our second SIMs. We have $10 Red Pocket accounts each on ATT and Verizon (1 Gb data and more voice/SMS then we'll ever use). With the WeBoost inside antenna, we switch carriers at the drop of a phone onto the inside antenna. 1 Gb data works for a few days, and if longer, we have to up our Red Pocket to the next data level for a month.

The other problem we have is that T-Mobile hotspot is now limited to 5 Gb/month (10 Gb with two lines). We use PdaNet+ but it's less convenient than the T-Mobile hotspot.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 April 2022 - 06:46 PM

The system I chose is for one carrier at a time, but it does have two sim slots, so I can switch carriers with a few simple mouse clicks.

I have AT&T in this rig, along with a BELL Canada sim. The BELL sim has 45GB and the AT&T is unlimited. I work from my camper, and a single zoom call is 1GB of data.

#13 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 April 2022 - 06:23 PM

We have the Weboost system and have been very happy with it.

It accepts all carriers but we use Verizon.

When traveling down the road we use the magnetic antenna that is about 4” tall and attach it to our roof.

When we are stationary for a few days we attached a bracket that allows us to attach their “trucker” antenna which is more receptive and about 30” taller. Both work great when you have at least one or two bars.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#14 Tahoems

Tahoems

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 11:00 PM

I was looking at Weboost but was hoping to find something more portable. I was think of a turn-key system I could set up on a picnic table and say pack into a pelican box. Short of building it myself I was curious if anyone here had seen such a thing. I've just discovered the KING Extend Go Kit which is a step in that direction.

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 02:06 AM

The weboost could be made fairly portable.  I think the problem with portable is:

- You really want a good antenna up high.  Small/compact/picnic table does not lend itself to mounting up high.  At the very least you want a stubby antenna mounted to a 12" round groundplane.  The RV/Trucker antenna is much more awkward

- These units use a considerable amount of power... so you need to have access to your camper/truck batteries.

I am VERY happy with my new router and antenna!

#16 Tahoems

Tahoems

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 02:47 AM

Hmm i could look at packing and old tent pole or antenna extensions to get better range. My wife works remotely more than me an I can't see her hanging out inside a car or camper for hours just to be near the antenna. For the price Weboost kit looks like a good start but it sounds like you're limited to staying very close to the internal antenna

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 04:08 AM

Hmm i could look at packing and old tent pole or antenna extensions to get better range. My wife works remotely more than me an I can't see her hanging out inside a car or camper for hours just to be near the antenna. For the price Weboost kit looks like a good start but it sounds like you're limited to staying very close to the internal antenna

Yah, I literally rubber banded my cell phone to the internal antenna.  Sucked.

#18 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 June 2022 - 04:19 AM

. . . but it sounds like you're limited to staying very close to the internal antenna

Like Vic said, on top of it.  There also needs to be separation between the reception (outside) antenna and the broadcast (inside) antenna to avoid feedback.

I would broach the question with WeBoost and see what they have to say.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#19 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 02:06 PM

I spoke to WeBoost at OE. The signal boost zone is fairly narrow, about a 20 degree cone, off of the face of the chocolate bar opposite of the side that says mount here. I’ve been disappointed in mine, but it wasn’t mounted right. This weekend’s project is to reconfigure it. 

#20 Tahoems

Tahoems

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 03:55 PM

I couldn't decide so we ordered the portable kit from King. Based on Weboost but with some more flexibility and a nice travel kit. We may also dump our DSL at home and this comes with a 120v adapter. https://kingconnect....signal-booster/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users