15 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 February 2022 - 02:35 AM

On a whim, tonight I decided to cook Boeuf Bourgogne using a recipe from a friend in France.  While I expected a lot of work that ended in disaster, I prepared perhaps the best and most flavorful meal I have ever cooked. Kudos to Jamie Schler, the chef who shared her recipe.  

It’s a lot of work, but well worth the effort.  Let me know if you would like a copy of Jamie’s fantastic dish.

gallery_4841_711_1521768.jpeg

Jaime’s Recipe

BŒUF BOURGUIGNON

Serves 4 to 6 and makes excellent leftovers. Preparation time is close to 3 ½ to 4 hours which includes an hour resting time once the Bourguignon is cooked. This is a great dish to make the day before it is served… just gently reheat (or the morning for the evening).  Boeuf Bourguignon can also be cooked without the potatoes and served over cooked noodles or mashed potatoes or even polenta. Serve with a good, intense wine, and a fresh loaf of bread.

INGREDIENTS

About 1 lb 12 oz - 2 lbs (800 grams - 1 kg) beef for stewing, cut into 8 – 10 large chunks

Olive oil or a mix of olive oil and margarine to sautée vegetables and brown meat

2 – 3 tablespoons flour

2 small to medium onions, peeled and coarsely chopped

3 cloves garlic, crushed

Carrots & potatoes & mushrooms – the number depends on how much you like and want to eat (this instruction from the Frenchman). On average, 2 – 3 carrots, 1 lb/500 grams potatoes, 10 oz/300 grams mushrooms, each cleaned, trimmed, peeled and cut into large chunks.

1 bouquet garni (thyme, bay/laurel although you can add sage and/or rosemary if desired)

1 bottle of intense wine such as a Burgundy or Bordeaux

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

—————————

If you like, marinate the chunks of beef in about a cup of wine or so overnight; this may make them more tender. Have the meat at room temperature before starting to cook.

Put about 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil or half olive oil & half margarine in a large heavy pot, one that will comfortably hold all of the meat & vegetables. 

When sizzling, add the chopped onions cook, stirring, until translucent & tender. 

Add the garlic and continue cooking for another couple of minutes. 

Add the chunks of meat and brown on all sides.

Once the meat is browned, add the flour and toss until all of the meat is coated & the flour is absorbed; cook for a few more minutes. 

Add the bottle of wine until the meat is covered in liquid; top up with water if needed to cover the meat. Add the bouquet garni, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 1 hour.

While the meat is simmering, cook the potatoes in salted water until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Drain.

Once the meat has simmered in the wine for 1 hour, add the carrots & the mushrooms cut into large chunks as well as the potatoes. 

Cover the pot again and continue cooking on a very low simmer for another 1 or until all of the vegetables are tender.

The cooking liquid should reduce into a rather thick sauce (ours could have been reduced a bit more), but watch towards the end – if it looks to be reducing too much and risks burning, don’t hesitate to add more liquid (water or wine).

Turn off the pot, remove from the heat and allow to sit for an hour so the meat relaxes before serving. This is not necessary but recommended. Remove the bouquet garni before serving and discard.

Enjoy.

Spread the love and share with your followers. 

Plus a video that helps, and adds bacon lardons :)

https://youtu.be/hliD8Z6xa-g

I am haunted by waters

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 February 2022 - 02:57 AM

Let me know if you would like a copy of Jamie’s fantastic dish.

Yup. :)

You know the address Mr. Sage.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Elken

Elken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:02 AM

Looks great!

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:18 AM

Yup. :)

You know the address Mr. Sage.

Check yer inbox

I am haunted by waters

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:21 AM

Looks great!

Thank you!  I’m not exaggerating when I say it was the best meal I’ve ever cooked.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:30 AM

another request for the recipe, please sir!  

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:09 PM

Yup -- count me as interested in a copy of the recipe, Steve!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:43 PM

another request for the recipe, please sir!  

Yup -- count me as interested in a copy of the recipe, Steve!

Check yer inbox…

I am haunted by waters

#9 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 February 2022 - 06:37 PM

Thanks Steve!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 February 2022 - 06:39 PM

Thanks Steve!

x2 :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users