• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 21 February 2022 - 04:39 PM

Looking for advice.  Going to use it with our new "computer on wheels" - 2022 Subaru Outback with 4 cylinder 2.5 motor.

Every one I've looked at so far says they are the Best one. Which one is the Best? And do I need a 1 or 2,000 amp starter.

Thanks' all.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 05:20 PM

Got a Rockford for Christmas years ago and it was a excellent product, would hold a charge for months and never failed me, whether jumping my lawn tractor or a small V8. Left it in my hot truck to many summer days and it swelled after 6 or so years. Stilled can't throw it away as it still has 2 bars showing after 3 years of not being charged. Replaced it with a bigger Noco jumper since I now have a 6.2L motor. Noco has been a solid performer also.

#3 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 22 February 2022 - 01:13 AM

Don't overthink it. I was given a Black Rhino $60 add on battery kit that is about the size of 2 smart phones stacked. When I opened the box, there was a wire harness and a bunch of adapters to charge all kinds of devices. There was also a pair of medium sized alligator clamps. I looked at the instructions and it clearly said it could jump start a car. Well, I laughed...so I charged it up and tossed it in the truck. A couple of weeks later, the battery goes out in the truck and the little jump battery that could easily started my truck, twice...So yeah, buy a name brand but no matter what you get, you'll be amazed at what the lipo batteries will do and they will easily start your Subaru... 

#4 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 04:04 PM

Thanks both of you. I'm also going to check with my mechanic. Will report what he advises.

And "Old Hot rod" what was your last one? I'm one of those guys too.

see picture: In 1963 at age 19 I bought this 1939 Buick Special Phaeton one for $1,500. Had a chance to buy it back in 2004 for $76,000.

My argument: It was a frame off restoration  so if I had to sell it we "could" get out investment back. 

You can guess what the wife replied when I told her I was thinking about it

gallery_2684_1475_15306.jpg

gallery_2684_1475_36741.jpg

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 22 February 2022 - 04:21 PM.

Jim

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 February 2022 - 04:15 PM

37/38 Chevy?

Thanks both of you. I'm also going to check with my mechanic. Will report what he advises.

And "Old Hot rod" what was your last one? I'm one of those guys too.

see picture: In 1963 at age 19 I bought this one for $1,500. Had a chance to buy it back in 2004 for $76,000.

You can guess what the wife replied when I told her I was thinking about it. My argument: It was a frame off restoration

so if I had to sell it we"could" get out investment back. 

gallery_2684_1475_15306.jpg

gallery_2684_1475_36741.jpg

I am haunted by waters

#6 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 04:35 PM

39 Buick Special with Straight 8 motor. 3-speed on the column.  Buick and Chevy used the same bodies

I also had a 40 Buick Coupe with a hopped up straight 8.that I used to cruise Sunset in the 60's and stoplight to stoplight street race.

Used to blow the Ford flat 8's "into the weeds"  

Those days the 405 freeway ran from Slauson to one exit north of Sunset and the Santa Monica freeway (I-10?) wasn't built. 

We would drag race on the section that was and I don't remember if "Lions Drag Strip" was open then. While we are talking cars I had a buddy that had a Chevy V8 powered Porche 914. He bought the car with a blown engine for $600 bucks.

He use to race the Ferrari's on Sunset blvd at 3 am. Rode with him once. Unbelievable performance.

Wandering are you in my generation too?

Jim

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 February 2022 - 07:36 PM

Jim definitely in your gen. My very first car in1959 ,1937 Chevy Coupe.

Last HOT car was my 1967 Shelby GT 350 bought new sold it 5 years ago.

New owner is great with it .Has other Shelby cars,so I know it went to a great home.

Thanks for the photo.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 February 2022 - 03:45 AM

my last hot rod - 

Miata 001

Miata 016

Miata 015

It weighed 2560 lbs and had 434 HP at the wheels as measured by a Mustang Dyno.  The last pic is of the inside of the trunk lid, signed by Takao Kijima (Mazda engineer), who also took the car for a drive with me.  

t was a lot of fun building and tweaking this thing.  Very quick, to say the least, and still handled like a Miata.  I miss that car!

For a lark I am using that same license plate on our truck/camper rig.   :D

Edited by Vic Harder, 23 February 2022 - 03:51 AM.

#9 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 February 2022 - 04:47 AM

Mine:

hot rod.jpg

Bought a DBPOWER 1.8 AH (600A peak) jump pack for this because the battery is hard to get to.  Haven't had to use it on the Power Wagon but jump started a couple of other V8s.   Took about 15-20% of battery to jump start a 5.2L cold engine (10ºF).

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#10 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 23 February 2022 - 08:44 PM

Back to the original subject. I've got 2 of the Chinese jump starters that I received as gifts and wouldn't recommend either one of them. One can recharge my phone but not much else. The second will start my Toyota but won't help the Jeep and I wouldn't even consider it for my Dodge Cummins.

Jim - I would suggest that you contact a local tow company and find out what they're using. A lot of towing companies are using these jump starters now instead of trying to get their trucks near the dead car. 

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users