49 replies to this topic

#31 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 27 February 2022 - 03:58 AM

Julie's knees are impressive. My knees hurt just thinking about it.

On the Big Grill: when buying our truck, they definitely advertised that the model year had a bigger, better front grill. Frankly, I'd never looked at truck grills before (being new to trucks, not something thought about), I had to chuckle how that was somehow important. Perhaps it has something to do with the radiator though. The cooling system is amazing, it doesn't budge no matter the outdoor temperature. Our 1997 V8 Explorer was gonna overheat going up to Butte Valley and we had to turn on the heat full blast -- in 105° weather no less. Surely the engine wasn't struggling at the slow speed we were going -- on the other hand there wasn't much air going in the grill due to the walking speed.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#32 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 February 2022 - 08:34 PM

Rubberlegs,is that Dave Brubeck on your avatar?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#33 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 February 2022 - 03:07 AM

great trip report.

i think i have some feedback on the Big Grill - issue.

i worked for a large commercial truck manufacturer for my career, and for one 3 yr stretch on a team that managed a complete new truck design.

the truck makers dont want to have a tall or high front hood/grill. the higher it is, the worse it is for aero, and mpg's, and visibility.. the deciding factor is engines, and radiator/cooling system. the newer the trucks , the larger the radiators are. newer engines run hotter for emission control. so in our case, commercial vehicles, the top of the grill is only as high as it needs to be, no higher.  if anyone wanted to make the grill higher, it never would have happened - and i suspect this is the same thing with our trucks. the grills look 'big', but they have to be, as the radiator right behind it is more or less the same height.

go

goinoregon, first off thanks for the kind comment! Also thanks for your knowledgeable perspective on truck design. I appreciate your views. From my simple old time driver view, mid sized truck power plants have not changed that much but its obvious the trend is to bigger and aggressive front ends. All I want my truck to do is get me where I'm going. Image means nothing to me. I want to see the rocks right in front of me.

I was interested in the new 2022 Nissan Frontier. With exactly the same power plant as the 2021 Frontier (with a nice sloping hood), it too, has followed the trend of a big aggressive front end. Eye changing design has always been a main piece of selling vehicles. And most manufacturers are timid about deviating from what the current trend is. I just think its silly when it gets in the way of actually using the vehicle where I take one. But, I have hope. In a year or two there will be cameras hung everywhere under the truck and I'll not need to even look out the windshield! :)

On the Big Grill: when buying our truck, they definitely advertised that the model year had a bigger, better front grill. Frankly, I'd never looked at truck grills before (being new to trucks, not something thought about), I had to chuckle how that was somehow important. Perhaps it has something to do with the radiator though. The cooling system is amazing, it doesn't budge no matter the outdoor temperature. Our 1997 V8 Explorer was gonna overheat going up to Butte Valley and we had to turn on the heat full blast -- in 105° weather no less. Surely the engine wasn't struggling at the slow speed we were going -- on the other hand there wasn't much air going in the grill due to the walking speed.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#34 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 03:10 AM

Frank, you are always so kind with your comments, thank you! Julie and I are pleased you enjoy our adventures. :)

Thanks ,Monte. Your stories are a great read,and the rock art photos fantastic.

Great suggestion about taking pictures of yourselves at the beginning of a hike.

I also like to take a picture of certain places on a trail  turn that could look different on the return.

Like you said you can't leave things to memory when you can take a photo.

Anxious for more of the story.

Frank

Thanks for part 2.

Great find the Hogan.

Frank

Thanks,as always I am amazed at the amount of rock art you find.

Does the amount of rock art mean that the ancient people had spare time to do it?

Frank

Monte as usual a great trip story.Thank you for all the time you put into telling/showing

us your trips.  Lots of great sights you have taken us all to.

I never get tired of riding along with you two on your fantastic trips.

Keep traveling and reporting.

Also Julie's knees sure have been put to the test and have given her the new freedom

for your hikes.

Frank

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#35 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 03:15 AM

AWG_Pics, thanks for the nice comments! I'd sure like to be able to get you to show up at our next breakdown. It's tentatively scheduled for around 100,000 miles from now. I've been known to require expert supervision. :)

Thanks again for sharing another interesting trip! Cool trilobites and petroglyphs. We will spend most of a month, beginning in mid-March, in DVNP and environs. Mostly on the east and south sides. It is a huge park -- bigger than some states. Lots to explore, see and do.

Well Ski, if we ever see you and the Lady broke down on the side of the road we will be sure to stop and talk your ear off until you get yer rig runnin lickity split -- just to get away from my jawboning. My wife may actually pitch in, but I am more of an 'advice and wisdom' dispensing sort of guy.  Heck, I've got insights that even I havn't realized yet. Talkin em out is very good for me. I am sure you will enjoy hearing my take on things while barkin yer knuckles on steel parts. See ya soon, if yer lucky that is!

Excellent telling of an adventurous couple of days! Thanks!

#36 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 03:17 AM

Mr. Sage, thanks for your kind comments! :)

Rock art, fossils, new friends!  Who could ask for more?

Thanks for sharing and letting us tag along!

It just keeps getting better!  Blinds, stacked rock shelters, an electric blanket!

Congrats to the ski3pins and baggers!

Though another traveler not stopping to see if you needed assistance is disappointing.

Thanks for sharing

Another superb adventure!  Thank you for sharing it with us!  I need to order a copy of Deb’s book…

Pupfish, miniature dinosaurs, braying asses…. Quite a finale for the trip.

But, I have questions, if  "It's just a dumb ass," she sleepily replied. "Go back to sleep.", the ass is dumb, could it bray?

Bad humor aside, four wonderful installments!  Thanks for letting us tag along.

#37 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 03:19 AM

Vic, this is very kind, thank you! You know, there's a lot of fun to be had in Death Valley. :)

wonderful adventure told extremely well.  Thanks!

so much fun to tag along... thanks!

#38 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 03:20 AM

Foy, we always look forward to your fine geologic comments! Thank you. :)

Don't forget the totally cool basalt dike intruding the bright buff/white tuff!  

Looking forward to the next installment!

Foy

#39 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 03:23 AM

Resident comedian. Paul, I do think there's a chance your member title just might get changed sometime when you least expect it. :)

And you thought that baggers couldn’t be choosers.  :P 

Paul

sorry

Why spare time?

Why couldn’t it have been their paid job?

Paul

#40 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 03:27 AM

Mr. rubberlegs, you know I think for much of the adventure we were tagging along with you two! :)

Thanks for a fun trip and putting up with Julie and me! :)

Thanks for letting us literally tag along!

May I add that the ski3pins are delightful companions on the trail (or off) and in camp. They suffered through some fruitless searches on our quest to find ancient artifacts, with nary a complaint. Then again we had some great luck on another day. So it averaged out ok!

It's possible the ancients needed the electric blanket (solar power, Victron, lithium, etc.) while hanging out in their blinds. It was hard to find a propane dealer in those days.

Every time we air up (sometimes when we air down), people stop to check on us. Sure glad you had the right solution for your problem.

That would be cool! Deb’s book is at debfoxdesign.com.

Thanks for a well written report, sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users