49 replies to this topic

#41 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 February 2022 - 03:31 AM

Lighthawk, we knew much of the initial trip would be familiar to you! There is so much to discover and enjoy. You two are lucky with the amount of time you're able spend in the Saline area. Thanks for your nice comments!

Locked out of our truck with the engine running? When did that happen? :) :) :)

Great tale from ancient trilobites to new friends.

Familiar sites and sights are always a welcoming read, seen through your story and photos.

We've been thinking of using our Inreach for backcountry messaging, assuming everyone is checking their devices.

Did someone say Elvis is in the house?  :ph34r: 

Part II is another wonderful tour of familiar haunts.  Our friend Mitch guided us to the hogan a few years ago.

That bench with springs at the base of the limestone butte is a special place for sure.  

_A731223-Th.jpg

If we ever see you broke down, or locked out of your truck I'll always ask "Got everything you need?"

:D  :D  :D

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#42 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 28 February 2022 - 06:35 AM

Rubberlegs,is that Dave Brubeck on your avatar?
Frank

Nope, it’s me at our daughter’s wedding.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#43 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 28 February 2022 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for a great DV report. Alabama Hills always amazes. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#44 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 February 2022 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for part 2.

Great find the Hogan.

Frank

Thanks to rubberlegs for providing me with further information on the hogan that I've added to the blog -

The research paper adds this information about the hogan: it was not mentioned in a survey done in 1931, "therefore a post-1931 date seems reasonable. It is conceivable that the structure was built and occupied by remnant Shoshone people."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#45 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 February 2022 - 07:13 PM

Nope, it’s me at our daughter’s wedding.

You look like a much younger Brubeck.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#46 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:29 AM

goinoregon, first off thanks for the kind comment! Also thanks for your knowledgeable perspective on truck design. I appreciate your views. From my simple old time driver view, mid sized truck power plants have not changed that much but its obvious the trend is to bigger and aggressive front ends. All I want my truck to do is get me where I'm going. Image means nothing to me. I want to see the rocks right in front of me.

I was interested in the new 2022 Nissan Frontier. With exactly the same power plant as the 2021 Frontier (with a nice sloping hood), it too, has followed the trend of a big aggressive front end. Eye changing design has always been a main piece of selling vehicles. And most manufacturers are timid about deviating from what the current trend is. I just think its silly when it gets in the way of actually using the vehicle where I take one. But, I have hope. In a year or two there will be cameras hung everywhere under the truck and I'll not need to even look out the windshield! :)

if the new frontier's now offer diesel, that might be reason for larger grill. the current diesels run hotter for emission control, and require larger radiators.

Oregon

#47 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 04 March 2022 - 01:39 AM

Do gas engines also run at  higher temps?

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#48 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 04 March 2022 - 04:32 PM

Lighthawk, we knew much of the initial trip would be familiar to you! There is so much to discover and enjoy. You two are lucky with the amount of time you're able spend in the Saline area. Thanks for your nice comments!

Locked out of our truck with the engine running? When did that happen? :) :) :)

It's been almost a decade ago, Ski.   This was in 2013 on our trip with the Ted's, MarkBC and the Barking Spiders.

:P

20131012_103122-XL.jpg

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#49 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 10 March 2022 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for another fascinating trip report, Ski.  Your experience with the fellow passing you without stopping no longer surprises me.  The internet has opened formerly remote places to the masses but unfortunately, that same internet does little to school these new visitors in backcountry or campground etiquette.  

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#50 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 19 May 2022 - 02:25 PM

Awesome trip report. Thanks for sharing.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users