Photo
- - - - -

Fasteners for roof: self-piercing or self-drilling?

roof screws rack

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Paddle

Dr Paddle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted 04 March 2022 - 08:41 PM

I'm about to remount the original 1" aluminum tubing roof rack that came with my 2001 Grandby. I had to repair it after the original owner apparently snagged a tree limb. (Embarrassingly, I am that original owner <sigh>.)

Is there a functional difference between using self-piercing (sharp piercing tip) and self-drilling (cutting blades on tip) screws on the roof? Does either one hold better? The factory used self-piercing screws, but that could have been for manufacturing efficiency. I intend to put butyl tape under the rack to prevent leakage that might lead to corrosion.

Many thanks for this help and for the help you collectively have provided before. With your help, I've installed new factory lift panels and lift cylinders, repaired broken frame members under the front window, fixed torn siding, fixed rotted plywood, and more!

Kevin in San Diego

Edited by Dr Paddle, 04 March 2022 - 08:41 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 March 2022 - 08:52 PM

The only thing I can think of is possibly needing a slightly larger screw.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 March 2022 - 09:33 PM

Use galvanized - not stainless steel. Stainless steel and aluminum in contact causes corrosion of the aluminum.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 05 March 2022 - 04:53 AM

Butyl tape is the industry standard, although can be messy as it oozes under high temps.

I would shoot a little lap sealant into each screw hole to help glue them in and provide another level of waterproofing.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 05 March 2022 - 05:27 AM

In my experience in doing a full rebuild, self-piercing screws offer a tighter, more secure hold than self-drilling screws, because the self-drilling screws by cutting, create a larger hole before the threads bite. I think you get slightly more thread formation on the receiving stock with the self-piercing screws, and that is my opinion why they’re slightly more secure, at least on the very thin aluminum tubing thickness used on the campers. Just my .02!

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#6 Dr Paddle

Dr Paddle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted 05 March 2022 - 06:29 AM

In my experience in doing a full rebuild, self-piercing screws offer a tighter, more secure hold than self-drilling screws, because the self-drilling screws by cutting, create a larger hole before the threads bite. I think you get slightly more thread formation on the receiving stock with the self-piercing screws, and that is my opinion why they’re slightly more secure, at least on the very thin aluminum tubing thickness used on the campers. Just my .02!

Thanks! That was is what I sort of suspected, but could find no supporting information on the web. Seems there would be more metal for the self-piercing screw threads to bite, since the metal is deformed but not removed by the screw.

#7 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 12:30 PM

I always drill a small pilot hole and then use anything but a self-drilling screw. I use a drill driver and then tighten the last few threads by hand with a screwdriver. I have also found that, in the roof, sealant squirted into the hole is a must.

#8 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 01:38 PM

Any fine thread self tapping will work well. As mentioned, squirting a dab of sealant in the hole not only acts as a water seal but will lock the screw in so it's unlikely to back out.

#9 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 March 2022 - 02:39 PM

I completely agree here, self drilling screws did not hold well. I ended up drilling a small pilot hole then using self piercing screws.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 March 2022 - 03:55 PM

You're not the first one to snag a tree limb. I like to use an adhesive sealant in the holes like 3m 4200. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roof, screws, rack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users