• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Go for Broke

Go for Broke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 02:18 PM

Being new to AC and truck camping in general, I understand there is an undertaking known as "leveling".

QUESTION - What is a reasonable height to plan to level too? One inch? One foot? One corner or two?

With sticks and stone available, plus a plethora of intelligently design devices, it can be done. But being anal retentive, I have to plan ahead.

The task seems easy enough; find a level spot and then shim up one or more corners until a bubble level indicates done.

I do not plan to camp in a Good Sam's, WalMart or street stealth, rather I plan on boon docking, so levering is bound to come up (no pun intended)(double no pun with AC considered).

Your thoughts, solution and pictures of course, would be appreciated. DIY is cool.

Thank you,

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 March 2022 - 03:22 PM

A bit more "techie" than a bubble level but it's free...........................

Leveling your rig: Truma app

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 March 2022 - 06:19 PM

I just use those camco type levels Amazon.com: RV Designer E401, Stick-On Level, 2 Per Pack, Exterior Hardware : Automotive

and aim at getting within one to two lines off of dead level. Unless you have a propane powered fridge, getting super level is not critical.

#4 Go for Broke

Go for Broke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 09:52 PM

SKI3PIN

You and BILLHARR are on target with that TRUMA app. I'm going to download and maybe even use it too, old school you know.

VIC

Thanks for the source of the bubble level. I don't know what my AC comes with until I get hold of it. A 72 is likely going to need some work.

Any words of advice on the physical tire blocks?

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 March 2022 - 10:44 PM

tire blocks?  Depends on where you are camping.  Are rocks available?  Do you carry a shovel and digging is permitted where you camp?  Then leveling can be done using natural materials.  I carry a bag of those yellow Camco leveling (Lego blocks basically) blocks.  Others carry sections of 2x8" boards.  

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 March 2022 - 12:12 AM

We are with Vic on rocks and shovel work. We also carry 6 short sections of 2x6 lumber with tapered cuts on one end. Julie loves using the Truma app, it's her new first camp set up chore. She usually sidesteps anything "techie" but she's sure taken to this.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 March 2022 - 02:35 AM

We have a place near the gear shifter that is 'level' to the truck. So I have one of these, which has worked very well for some years now: https://www.amazon.c...581352546&psc=1

You can easily get more high tech, expensive, fiddly solutions. But we have not seen the need.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 March 2022 - 03:21 AM

The iPhone compass app has a level function.  We lay the phone on the floor to determine camper level.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Dr.Science

Dr.Science

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 03:23 PM

I just eyeball it. If it looks flat enough, then it is. For hardware I carry some 2x4's that are cut short enough to fit into my propane tank box. Use them alone for a 1.5" level change, stack them for a 3" change. Hasn't been a problem finding sites where 3" change is enough.

#10 Go for Broke

Go for Broke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 12:14 AM

We have a place near the gear shifter that is 'level' to the truck. So I have one of these, which has worked very well for some years now: https://www.amazon.c...581352546&psc=1

You can easily get more high tech, expensive, fiddly solutions. But we have not seen the need.

Oh, that level cube is the coolest thing ever.

Copy, the shovel thing. But its amazing how many people don't back fill when leaving (or cover their cat holes).

I like the simple lumber approach best. A lot of that laying around local construction sites.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: truck, camping, leveling, Alaskan, DIY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users