16 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,334 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 March 2022 - 05:50 PM

It was a quick decision to take off on a short trip. We are so incredibly lucky to have so many options for adventure and exploration fairly close by. The vast Death Valley region called to us. We heeded that call. Our story and photos are now posted to our blog and you may find it here -

Lee Flat - March 2022

Please enjoy tagging along! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,292 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 March 2022 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the trip.The Joshua tree forest is very interesting.We have only seen a forest like that

in the southern part of the Sierra's on the road around Lake Isabella.They are a strange tree

to see as a forest.

Wow the F117 sure don't see them often,cool plane.

Enjoyed the latest trip.Thanks.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 11 March 2022 - 03:39 AM

Very nice trip, thanks for posting.  I love the single leaf pinyon, any day spent with those is a good one, and stellar views to boot.

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 March 2022 - 05:51 AM

In summit photo, you guys do look cold but positively ecstatic at Julie’s return to full spec.  Thanks for dragging us along. This might be a great year for exploring again.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 March 2022 - 06:10 AM

Dang!  You two keep hitting it out of the park for us.  

That's our favorite tub too.  Re-tirement is calling me...

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 11 March 2022 - 06:18 AM

Ain’t Galena Peak a dandy place?

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#7 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 March 2022 - 10:29 AM

Another Home Run for the Ski 3-Pins!  Special congratulations to The Lady for such a strong return from the wheel recapping exercises of last year. 

You know you can always get the attention of a reformed geologist with an awesome photo of a fault or fold.  And I like the small area of relatively undisturbed butte in the left-center of the photo.  So I suppose the photo was taken from the summit of Galena Peak looking towards Lippincott Rd which appears in the lower right?  I'd enjoy doing some Intertubes research on that (those) structures--surely the fault is a named major feature, and the small buttes tllted slightly down to the left are probably in the literature, as well.

Foy

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 March 2022 - 01:58 PM

Monte, thanks for the invite for the vicarious tag along.  We enjoyed seeing the country with you and Julie!  So good that Julie’s knee ones are back to specifications. :)

I am haunted by waters

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,334 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 05:13 PM

Another Home Run for the Ski 3-Pins!  Special congratulations to The Lady for such a strong return from the wheel recapping exercises of last year. 

You know you can always get the attention of a reformed geologist with an awesome photo of a fault or fold.  And I like the small area of relatively undisturbed butte in the left-center of the photo.  So I suppose the photo was taken from the summit of Galena Peak looking towards Lippincott Rd which appears in the lower right?  I'd enjoy doing some Intertubes research on that (those) structures--surely the fault is a named major feature, and the small buttes tllted slightly down to the left are probably in the literature, as well.

Foy

Yup, the photo is from the summit of Galena. In the center of the photo, right along the fault in the vertical strata, is the near mile long straight section of Corridor Canyon, a fascinating spot in DVNP.

DVNP-Nov2014-146-copy.jpg

If this is aligned with a fault, this may explain why  the rock was more easily eroded, forming this incredible section of canyon.

Here's our visit in November 2014 - Corridor Canyon

and Jim Boone's description of the hike - Corridor Canyon.

Here's the coordinates to take to Google Earth - 36°44.810'N 117°37.006'W

And Foy, thanks for the great commentary! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,334 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the trip.The Joshua tree forest is very interesting.We have only seen a forest like that

in the southern part of the Sierra's on the road around Lake Isabella.They are a strange tree

to see as a forest.

Wow the F117 sure don't see them often,cool plane.

Enjoyed the latest trip.Thanks.

Frank

Thanks Frank! Joshua Trees and stealth fighter jets was a great combination! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users