• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Go for Broke

Go for Broke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 12:26 AM

I have found many references to bolting down an AC, but no details.

QUESTION #1 - Is there a preferred spot to drill through the AC floor?

Are there studs?  trusses? thick deck? not toe stubbers? Does it matter?

Question #2 - What size hardware?

I'm thinking quarter inch is to small and one inch too large. Anybody?

Question #3 - What kind of nut?

Locking? cotter pin? AN safety wire?

Question - #4

Other than large fender washers, any reinforcement?

Since you asked, 1999, F-350, 7.3 PSD, steel bed. I even have a spare one in the yard with front end damage that I don't know what to do with.

Thanks,

#2 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 17 March 2022 - 12:03 PM

I've also carried it unsecured with the tailgate closed - that's how the previous owner used it all over the country.

The underside of my 1978 has 1x4 strips running from front to back, I added 1x4 going horizontal for extra clearance over my side rails. If I were to bolt it down, I'd try to go through the thickest part of the floor.

gallery_5608_781_60148.jpg

Edited by thisoldcamper, 23 May 2022 - 09:35 AM.

#3 Go for Broke

Go for Broke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 03:03 AM

thisoldcamper - I take it you mean through as many of the wood running as possible? There are no factory strong points are there?

#4 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 13 June 2022 - 12:37 AM

My Alaskan has 3/4” plywood for a floor. No other reinforcement as far as I know, so placement of bolts is inside cabinetry, where you can get to them with your tools.  If you can calculate where the drill bit will come out under the truck bed, you are more talented than me. 

For hardware, I use four, 1/2” diameter shank, coarse thread Grade 8 bolts, with locking nuts, and Grade 8 washers. Overkill? Maybe, but I never want to be the guy whose camper falls off his truck, and the total cost of four bolts is minuscule compared to to cost of the camper.

As to reinforcement, on top I made plates of 1/4” steel, about 4” x 10” to spread the load on the camper floor, drilled about center. Underneath, I have steel plates of similar thickness, roughly 3” x 5” to span enough of the truck bed floor, again to spread the load.  I did this because on 4x4 roads, even at very low speed, I could see the camper rocking in my side view mirror.  I wanted to transfer as much of the torque from the camper structure to the truck bed mounts.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users