• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 tennselr8

tennselr8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 01:39 PM

Quick story so you know where I am coming from. My Ram 2500 has the Rambox bed in it. There appears to be many truck campers that claim to fit my truck until they get to the measurement of the floor just under the door. Most camper manufacturers are utilizing the dead space behind the wheel well and "flare" out their camper from typical 40" or 48" floor between the wheel well, to 52" (mid-size truck) or 58" (full size truck). 

However, I have found two campers that would actually fit - The Palomino backpack 500SS and the SCOUT YoHo. The Yoho has 39" all the way from font to back. These two campers are built with an exact rectangle floor and no more than a 40" width.

So, I am desperately looking for someone who is selling a Scout Yoho. I need to buy a camper within the next two months as a trip for me and my daughter has been planned for the last year. She graduates college and we are going out to see all the national parks and other sites. 

I already have a YoHo on order (ordered a year ago) but now I am being told, like many in the same situation, that my build is delayed at least another two months. This will miss my window for the trip. 

Anyone selling? Would be happy to talk to you and setup a purchase. Thank you for the help! 

Tennessee

#2 tennselr8

tennselr8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 07:27 PM

hi everyone! 

ok, opinion question i was thinking through but don't know if it is a good idea....

There is a dealer who is keeping a Cirrus 620 for me right now. The width would fit but super tight because of the ratchet system on the Cirrus. 

What if i had the Decked roller drawer bed installed to the truck? The question i need your opinion on is it would lift the camp 12". 

This would clear my rails, but is 12" too high? 

What would be max height you could safely "lift" a camp with a subfloor in the bed without disturbing the center of gravity too much? 

thanks for all the help thinking this through with me :) 

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:27 PM

My 2¢… that is too much lift.  We have a Ford F-350 and a Big Northern Lite, and we are just under 12’ in height.  I couldn’t imagine it any higher.  I have all that I want to handle in terms of sway and wind resistance.  I wouldn’t do it, I’d pull a small cargo trailer instead.

That said, you might talk to all parties (truck, camper, drawer mfgr) and present them with your thoughts.  

I am haunted by waters

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 March 2022 - 09:06 PM

Just looking at the Rambox option.

You might have better luck with having a custom built

camper. Marty at ATC might be able to help you with that.

But the interior would possible be a bit narrow.

Like Steve pointed out that camper is already,in a regular bed

about 12' off the ground.

That's a lot of tall CG.

Of course this is only my opinion.

What's the possible of changing trucks?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 tennselr8

tennselr8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:25 PM

hi Frank! Changing trucks is an option and we went down that road for a bit. The logistics of doing so were not that favorable only considering the truck i have is perfect for everything i do. Well...save from finding a camp that fits :) 

in my mind it was try to sell mine, then find another that is just as good or better outfitted the same way since there isn't time to outfit a new one within the window of now till May when i leave. So, yes it "could" be an option but it felt there were other avenues that might prove more of an advantage. We'll see how it goes. 

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 10:25 PM

I had a thought,do you use the "bed boxes"?

Can they be used with a camper on?

Will the camper stay on all the time?

One other option instead of getting a new truck

fine a regular bed from salvage yard.

Just rambling thoughts.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 tennselr8

tennselr8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 11:34 PM

Hey Frank! 

nope, with the camp on the back of the truck the Ramboxes become useless. I am used to that having had a previous Palomino Bronco that eventually fell apart. Once the camp is on, you can't open the storage. Not a big deal unless you leave something in there that you need when you sit the camper on the truck....(ask me how I know that :) ). 

You are also correct in possibly being able to get a salvaged bed...which i have taken a look at. I found quite a few places in PA; seems to be a solid business up there. And also a couple in KY. However, in each case they would only sell me the bed and not do the work to install it. Been difficult finding someone reputable that would do the work and the additional risk of a salvage bed i can't look at in person due to being so far out of state. 

As i type all that, it can sound like just excuses :) Maybe they are, but its real life on my end and when the camper isn't on, the Ramboxes are quite handy for quick day trips or overnights when staying in the woods. 

Thanks for all the help! If anyone sees this post and knows of someone selling off their Scout YoHo (like the Morell's did) to upgrade or possibly get into something else, please think of me as a solid buyer. I have the funds already, just need to find the camper. 

talk to you all soon! 

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 12:31 AM

Your right it's real life.You have some tough choices.

I agree buying a "new" box with out seeing it or the help to install it

is a very difficult issue.

Good luck in your search.

Frank

#9 tennselr8

tennselr8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 12:34 AM

Thanks Frank! really appreciate all the thoughts. If you run across something....let me know!!  :D

#10 JimCuda5

JimCuda5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:38 PM

https://www.facebook...28436858683832/

Scout Yoho in Washington State

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sale, wanted, Scout, Yoho, Olympic, camper, truck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users