#1 WhimsyM

WhimsyM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 March 2022 - 06:50 PM

Hello,

I'm picking up my Fleet in June. It'll live on my Tacoma extended cab with 6ft bed. I have a 1UP bike rack and I want to ensure I'll have clearance using the 1UP Extender, which provides an additional 7 inches. Does anyone have this set-up? Plenty of space for the handlebars? 

Thank you for input!

Christa

#2 Keeferton

Keeferton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:06 PM

Sorry don't have any helpful info but I am shopping for a bike rack that will work with my Tundra/Hawk combo. How do you like the 1up? They are some of the beefiest bike racks I think I've ever seen. I would think with the extender you should be fine. I doubt the fleet will stick out more than 7 inches past where your tailgate was. 

I was thinking about getting a yakima exo system to use a bike rack/storage box combo but worry about the durability off road. 

#3 WhimsyM

WhimsyM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:24 PM

I love the 1UP! Expensive, but worth. Super easy taking the bikes on and off and they always feel very secure.
I'd like this swinging set-up:)

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:20 AM

+1 on the 1Up.  Super sturdy.  We added a front hitch receiver to be able to mount it up front occasionally too.  It is usually on the back for longer trips, and then once at a base camp we move them to the front.  Allows for more secure locking, etc.

#5 WhimsyM

WhimsyM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:35 PM

Hi Vic,

What's your set-up (truck/camper model)? Do you think the 7" extender will accommodate the required space for the handlebars on the back? I like the idea of moving them to the front!

Thanks!

Christa

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:36 PM

Truck and camper details are in my signature block? Maybe you can’t see that. 2015 chev 3500HD, ATC Puma/Grandby. The 1up will allow you to tilt it back to improve clearance. I don’t need to do that on my rig. Camper exactly fits the truck bed

#7 RAK4

RAK4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationGunnison, CO

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:37 PM

Christa, I’ve got a 2014 Tacoma extended cab with 6ft bed, a 2014 Fleet, and a 1 UP bike rack for two MTB’s. I use a 12” hitch extension to give me proper clearance for the handlebars. I picked up a really sturdy one from a trailer supply store in Denver (Lampert Hitch). To eliminate rack rattle, I use a Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Receiver. The entire setup has worked flawlessly for 8 years.

2014 Tacoma 4x4, 2014 FWC Fleet

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:44 PM

You can always turn the handlebars ?

#9 WhimsyM

WhimsyM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:53 PM

Awesome, thanks everyone! RAK4, perfect! I will just copy you! :) I'm driving to CA to pick up the camper and want to bring the bikes, but didn't want to deal with taking them apart if I had the dimensions wrong. Thank you thank you!

#10 Wildcat

Wildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 March 2022 - 03:39 PM

You can always turn the handlebars ?

Fyi, For many if not most bikes built within the past 10-15 years the small hex bolt you see at the top of the handlebar stem actually also tensions the steering tube bearing within the bike stem. Although you could turn the handlebars by removing that cap and usually a couple of hex bolts on the side of the upper handlebar attachment, you have to torque it back in place at somewhat low levels like 5-nm or less to reload the steering tube bearing. It's not a process you want to do on a regular basis for risk of stripping threads. The handlebar stem attachment on new bikes is often aluminum. Be aware that this can vary significantly by age of bike and manufacturer.

Probably more than you want to know about bike construction but by removing those 3 bolts and lifting off the handlebars you can usually easily drop/remove the entire front fork through the bottom. Pretty nifty and simple construction which now allows many companies to design and sell their own bike frame (Trek, Specialized, and smaller bike manufacturers) but obtain forks from a third-party producer.

Edited by Wildcat, 25 March 2022 - 03:41 PM.

2001 FWC Eagle on 1998 Taco 4x4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bike, rack, fleet, tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users