• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2022 - 01:20 AM

For those of us that don't want/have a full size shovel mounted on our camper, what do people use/recommend for a for a folding/telescoping shovel that is useful and sturdy but doesn't take up a lot of space?

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 22 March 2022 - 01:34 AM

Unless the laws have changed and I missed it, in Oregon, there is a need for a 26" shovel to meet requirements for fire season. I slide mine through the turnbuckle door and lay it on the truck bed. It gets dirty, but isn't that what shovels are made for?

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:28 AM

I keep a Schrade folding telescoping shovel in my truck for around camp, but prefer having a full size shovel along any time I’m on a trip.

I am haunted by waters

#4 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:10 AM

I carry a 30" 'D' Handle Razorback shovel from Home Depot.  I also carry a full size axe with leather head cover. 

They slide between the camper wall and the side of my truck bed on the passenger side (over to top of the wheel well).  The turnbuckles prevent them from working their way out. I have never had a problem getting them out, I simply turn them 90 degrees to get the blade past the turnbuckles.

On the driver's side I carry two 36" lengths of 10" wide stall mat.  I also carry  two 26" long 2x10s with beveled ends and two 16" 2x10s with beveled ends.  The stall mat strips go directly on the ground and minimize 2x10 cracking and splitting issues from rocks and uneven ground.  I put them in so that their ends are in the 90 degree corner of the cargo bed where the tail gate folds up and lean against the side of the camper.  They just stack up and sort of lock in place.

Edit: While the shovel I carry is not folding it has a regular size blade and around half the length of a full size shovel  whose handle length is around 57" - 58" long.

FWIW: I have used two different smaller than full size folding shovels in snow and mud and found them unsatisfactory but better than nothing and why I carry a shovel with a full size blade.

Edited by ckent323, 24 March 2022 - 03:58 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#5 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 March 2022 - 01:52 PM

I carry one of these in my truck full time. We have been using it for over a year around camp etc and it has held up great (my wife even pulled it out to garden with!). If I’m heading to the beach I might grab a long handled shovel. ?? But as far as using it for actual recovery it like my boards remain unused and I plan on keeping it that way.

https://www.rhinousa...survival-shovel

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#6 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:22 PM

I’ve carried an avalanche shovel used by skiers and mountain climbers, and finally got to use it. We got stuck in the powder past Eureka Dunes, and the shovel worked great. It wouldn’t work as well in hard ground though.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 March 2022 - 12:57 AM

For a folding shovel I carry one made by Glock. It folds and the handle telescopes. Hidden in the handle is a limb saw, and I can vouch for it's effectiveness on fiberglass. Have yet to try it on wood. Mostly used for um, well. I'll call them 'midnight patrols' and leave it at that.

https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B000KOOUOS

The camper gets a full size shovel. The FSB gets a D handled shorty. A friend carries what's known as a "Murder Spork" on his Xterra.

EDITED to add that both shovels are fibreglas handled and not wood handled. I prefer wood to actually work with, but 'glass seems to stand up better to being in or on a vehicle.

Edited by ntsqd, 23 March 2022 - 03:11 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 23 March 2022 - 02:02 PM

I’ve carried an avalanche shovel used by skiers and mountain climbers, and finally got to use it. We got stuck in the powder past Eureka Dunes, and the shovel worked great. It wouldn’t work as well in hard ground though.

Same here.  I carry a Voile aluminum bladed avy shovel with telescoping handle for snow and it works well in that Eureka powder too.

Otherwise, I've got a nice WW2 folding shovel with leather sheath underneath the front settee at all times.  I use it in the 90 degree mode as a mattock, or to pull back sand or soil to level the truck.  I wish I could find another one that is as well made.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 March 2022 - 02:57 PM

Same here.  I carry a Voile aluminum bladed avy shovel with telescoping handle for snow and it works well in that Eureka powder too.

Otherwise, I've got a nice WW2 folding shovel with leather sheath underneath the front settee at all times.  I use it in the 90 degree mode as a mattock, or to pull back sand or soil to level the truck.  I wish I could find another one that is as well made.

Andy, I don’t think you’ll ever find another E tool that good.  The closest are the Glock that Thom mentioned, and the Schrade. 

I am haunted by waters

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 March 2022 - 03:16 PM

I've had copies of the WWII E tool and they were all very disappointing. I'm fairly sure that the cause of that disappointment is the word "copy".

With that as my starting point I've been pretty impressed with the Glock tool. The first one that I bought cost $45, in 1988! It was a big leap of faith then, that was a lot of money to a starving college student. Online inflation adjuster says that would be a $108 shovel today, so it's now half price!

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users