Garmin Overlander ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 01:37 AM

Anyone have any experience with this Garmin? Truck doesn't have a nav system and there are a few features I like about the Overlander. That being said, they would have to go on sale before I would own one. 

#2 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 24 March 2022 - 02:14 PM

I have one that I purchased in the fall, only been on a few trips with it, like it so far. Love the big screen. Yes, wait for a sale price, I paid too much myself.

#3 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 March 2022 - 06:10 PM

I’m also looking at the Garmin Overlander but also considering the Garmin TREAD as well as it has some additional off-road features…

‘Anyone have one of these?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 25 March 2022 - 02:54 PM

Check out XOverland and 4xOverland websites/YouTube. Both run the Overlander and yes, it is quite spendy!

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 25 March 2022 - 06:16 PM

I have one, there are things I like and things I dislike.

Price wise it wasn't very different from a Montana 700I.

There are lots of different reviews about them.

I like the screen size, I can see enough detail most of the time. it comes with a very good powered magnetic mount.

I find it a typical Garmin in that its clumsy to enter a multiple stop route. I don't follow routes well, there is always something else I want to stop at. I use it more to try to figure out where I am on a big map.

I don't like the web based system (Garmin Explore), If you don't have a really good internet connection you're stuck tryiing to enter through the Overlander. Basecamp is clumsy but it works offline, it does not work with the Overlander.

I like having my Inreach connect to it.

autorouting only works in road mode, offroad mode switches back when you create a route.

Offroad mode has pretty good topo maps.

I always seem to find the spots where the map data is incorrect and I miss turns.Try to carry paper maps or atlases as backup. I had a hard time finding some on my trip last year.

AFAIK the Tread does not have road mode.

I can try to answer any specific questions.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#6 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:06 PM

Here is the OPand my discussion in private messages

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hey Machinebuilder. Thanks for the response. I probably wouldn't be able to figure out a lot of the features the Overlander has anyway. I guess that's what spending 45 yrs in masonry work does to me. LOL!! One thing that interest me about the unit is the built in I overland app. Have you used it much? We used I overlander on our trip last fall but we had wifi but on our upcoming trip we probably will be without Wifi a lot of the time. I'm just looking to replace our old Garmin with a bigger one and thinking the overlander app would worth something to me. Thanks again. Glen.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I don't use Ioverlander much. I have it on my phone and just checked it, I for got to check it on the Garmin.

I use Allstays Camp and RV, or Camp and Tent for most of my campground searches. I find it works better most of the time.

If I am boondocking I usually am some pretty remote spot late in the day and just keep an eye out for a place that looks good and usually one that has been used before.

I use GPS more to keep track of where I am, I greatly prefer large paper maps to plan with as I can see a bigger area. I just need to do better at getting them before I leave home.

Once I am in the area I want to explore there is a lot of whats that or where does that go so routing doesn't work real well.

The Overlander does all of its updates over WiFi so you would want to update it before you leave home. It's not that hard to do.

It does have a pretty good database of Points of interest (POI's) its just search through them is clumsy.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I went out and played with the Overland a bit.

The IOverlander database on it is the worst of the 3 databases.

Ultimate Public campgrounds seems to be much better for campsites. I still prefer Allstays Camp and RV.

4square looks better for other stuff.

It took me about 10min to run a map update using my phone as a WiFi hotspot. It looked like the Ioverlander updated.

The on unit searches is ok if you are just looking for whats closest. to search further down a route is painful.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#7 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 04:49 AM

TIP: We bought the Overlander last year when it had a $200.00 rebate through REI with a 10% REI end-of-year rebate off the original $700.00 price we paid. Our end price was $430.00 plus taxes.

BTW, we pretty much like the Overlander. Bet we're not GPS experts either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users