Photo

What do you have between the camper and the truck bed?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Spineguy

Spineguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 March 2022 - 03:18 AM

We have a 2016 Ford F250. Our 1988 CO Alaskan is coming Sunday. Just wondering if anyone has an Alaskan mounted on a F250 and how thick of base you had to put in the bed between the bed and camper so the cabover clears the truck cap. Thanks 

#2 DaniCa

DaniCa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2022 - 06:16 PM

I believe you meant "bed walls" or the truck's roof re: "Truck Cap". I have a 1958 8' NCO on a 1997 F350, and used 2" X 1" boards. The 1" high boards clear the bed walls by about 3/4" so the bed wall's upper rim doesn't get scratched when driving.  If you have  a CO version, it may be the same height adjustment, but someone else with a CO might reply with a more accurate answer.

As a side note, I secured the Alaskan to the truck bed because I have no intention of wanting to remove my 1958 Alaskan 8' NCO. I drilled through the boards, camper floor, and truck bed & frame (X 4 holes) and close the tailgate when driving. But because the  extra  1" raises the camper up---it's pretty easy to open the top door with the tailgate up.  So, two options:

1)  EASIEST--Install one of those fence gate latches on the outside of the top door that you can paddle lock,

2)  MORE WORK--If you have or add a remote lock to the tailgate (my setup), use STAINLESS STEEL screws, and add 2" to 6" wide X 1/2" to 2"  "thick" piece to top of tailgate, so when the tailgate is up/closed, the top door can't be opened, but you can still see out back window on upper door when driving.. I used FOUR 5.5" x 3/4"  leftover redwood fencing boards and use teak oil.  I get an extra 5.5" to 22" of extra "table space" or "deck" when the tailgate is down because I used both piano hinges, heavy duty furniture hinges,  and camper/trailer table folding legs.

~ Dani

drc2023@pm.me

#3 dastrom

dastrom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 March 2022 - 08:43 PM

I don't have a F250 but I do have a 2015 F150 and test fit my '75 CO Alaskan the other day.  I used some 4x4s and left the plastic bed liner in.  It was just about the right height to clear the bed rails and the cab on mine.  

#4 Spineguy

Spineguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 01:27 AM

Thank you DaniCa and dastrom

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 March 2022 - 02:30 AM

<snip>  I used some 4x4s and left the plastic bed liner in.  It was just about the right height to clear the bed rails and the cab on mine.  

I believe most camper manufacturers recommend not using a plastic bed liner because of the camper’s tendency to slide on the plastic.  We use stall mats.

I am haunted by waters

#6 nco

nco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 August 2022 - 02:05 PM

I have a 1968 nco that will go back on a 1996 Ram 2500 diesel. The payload as far as I can figure is 2300 lb. The camper used to sit on a plywood platform for clearance that was very heavy. It was sitting on a stall mat. What I am going to use now is Owens Corning EXP pink 2 inch thick foam insulation board. It will have a stall mat on top and bottom. Owens Corning says that the insulation board has a compression strength of 25psi. That should be more than enough to support the camper and lift it above the bed railings. It will be a lot lighter than the other system. Has anyone else used this board?

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 August 2022 - 02:35 PM

Horse stall mat.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 August 2022 - 05:27 PM

I have a 1968 nco that will go back on a 1996 Ram 2500 diesel. The payload as far as I can figure is 2300 lb. The camper used to sit on a plywood platform for clearance that was very heavy. It was sitting on a stall mat. What I am going to use now is Owens Corning EXP pink 2 inch thick foam insulation board. It will have a stall mat on top and bottom. Owens Corning says that the insulation board has a compression strength of 25psi. That should be more than enough to support the camper and lift it above the bed railings. It will be a lot lighter than the other system. Has anyone else used this board?

Yep, I only need 1/2", and without any stall mats.  It works fine.  Squeaks a bit on uneven roads.

#9 hugho

hugho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 04:43 PM

I believe most camper manufacturers recommend not using a plastic bed liner because of the camper’s tendency to slide on the plastic.  We use stall mats.

I kept my plastic bed liner and was also  concerned it might be too slippery but securing the CO to the frame of my "97 Cummins makes it rock solid. I added 2x3" posts in the stake pockets  and 2x6 bolted to the underside of the camper  as further insurance against moving and then I destruction tested it with panic stops and hard acceleration. Nothing moved . The big advantage is that  with the jacks at maximum height I have barely enough room to slide the CO into the bed but  it slides rather easily on the plastic. The stall mat idea is fine but they are terribly heavy and retain moisture underneath which would not be good on my old bed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users