10 replies to this topic

#1 adrian

adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 09:34 PM

I need to purchase a jack for 2017 tundra with 4wh camper.  I don't believe the standard truck  jack would raise truck & camper up if I ever had the need.  So far I've been lucky.  Would like to know what other camper have purchased?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 March 2022 - 10:20 PM

Adrian, I just bought a SafeJack Sergeant with 8 ton jack upgrade.  A bit pricy, but well made.

I added a piece of plywood for the jack to spread the weight and be more stable.

I am haunted by waters

#3 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 28 March 2022 - 10:20 PM

I jacked up my Toyota T-100/4wheel camper with the jack that came with the truck. At first the jack was driven into the ground (it was dry and crusty on the surface but gooey and wet a few inches down) but I found a piece of lumber in the nearby fire ring which solved the problem. The camper was a shell model loaded pretty heavily with water and supplies for a week in the desert but certainly well under the weight maximum so my anecdote may be perfectly useless.  

Edited by teledork, 28 March 2022 - 10:22 PM.

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 29 March 2022 - 01:12 AM

Mr. Sagebrush has a very nice jack. You might also consider one of the smaller 2-ton floor jacks. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 29 March 2022 - 03:58 AM

This article might help.

#6 Dadocut

Dadocut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast of CA

Posted 29 March 2022 - 08:42 AM

Replacing the stock jack makes a lot of sense.  I got a 8 ton US Jack for my F250 w/ Hallmark Guanella.  See https://www.usjack.c...e-hand-jacks   It works great and can easilly lift my truck w/ camper. Very heavy though.

#7 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:24 PM

I have a 2007 Tundra and was told that the jacks that come with them are pretty darn good and could easily handle my Hawk Shell. I can’t remember the weight capacity but I remember thinking it was good enough. I did test it once in the comfort of my own driveway and it worked fine. They may have changed since 07 but you might double check yours for the capacity. 
If I am wrong in my thinking someone please let me know. Like all my recovery gear, tire plugs etc, it’s all things you hope you don’t have to use. 

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#8 adrian

adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 05:10 PM

I would like to thank everyone for their information.  I may go with a scissor jack, what do you think? 

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 March 2022 - 05:28 PM

I would like to thank everyone for their information.  I may go with a scissor jack, what do you think? 

Since you asked… I still say bottle jack would be my choice.   

I am haunted by waters

#10 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 30 March 2022 - 05:44 PM

If you read the article I linked and noted the surplus Humvee scissors jack and the adapter—that's an affordable and very strong option. Bulkier than a bottle jack, though, and can't use the excellent accessories from Safe Jack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users