• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 29 March 2022 - 09:16 PM

Can we all put some care into using correct electrical units?

Edited by Jon R, 29 March 2022 - 09:45 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 March 2022 - 10:11 PM

Jon, what have you noticed, what are you recommending?

I am haunted by waters

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:19 AM

The most common units issue I see here is writing A when aH is meant. I just cringe &  move on. I've likely done the same at times, but it is a point well taken. 

It was mistake in units that caused a Mars Climate Orbiter to crash and was the cause of a lens correction repair on the Hubble telescope.

Other units errors here: https://spacemath.gs...kly/6Page53.pdf

Paul

Edited by PaulT, 30 March 2022 - 12:19 AM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 30 March 2022 - 01:48 AM

Paul, T

I am smiling - you pointed out an abbreviation error (which is an error in itself since it is Ah not aH) not a units error.

An ampere hour (abbreviated Ah, or sometimes amp hour) is the amount of energy charge in a battery that will allow one ampere of current to flow for one hour. An ampere is a unit of measure of the rate of electron flow or current in an electrical conductor.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Ampere_hour

BTW;  While I did not work on the Mars Orbiter I did work on an instrument on the Spirit rover as well as working on over a dozen other spaceborne instruments.  The Mars orbiter error was indeed a unit conversion error but not an abbreviation error.

"spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched"

https://en.wikipedia...Climate_Orbiter

;-)

Regards,

Craig

;-)

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 March 2022 - 01:50 AM

Those new to the whole electrical/electronics of their campers may not know the proper units. Need to cut them some slack.

FWIW, when I see "aH" I'm struggling to recall what unit size modifier starts with an "a", and why are we talking about Henrys anyway?

:)

I prefer "A-Hr" or "A-hr"

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 March 2022 - 02:08 AM

Toldja I make mistakes.  :rolleyes:

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 05:29 AM

I’m not talking about capitalization or abbreviations, I’m talking about errors in the units being used for the physical parameter being described. A common one that makes me cringe is “amps per hour” and “amps per day.”

Also, I’m not complaining about people new to this stuff making errors. I’m asking the long timers to be precise specifically for the benefit of newer people trying to learn.

Jon R

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 March 2022 - 01:26 PM

I guess that I don't see a problem. Perfectly reasonable to say "the fridge consumes X.X amps per hour". It does imply that the fridge's power consumption is intermittent and the power that it consumes is being averaged over a period longer than just when it is running.

It would be incorrect to say that a battery has "XXX amps per hour" capacity, and I agree that it is an error that would be very misleading to someone just learning about this stuff.

Being over-bearing about correctness (or anything else) in a forum usually just shuts people down. Grievous errors, sure, minor infractions, no.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 02:13 PM

Do you say “mph per hour” when talking about average speed over an hour?

I don’t think it’s being overbearing to suggest we not use unit terms that are clearly physically incorrect. I have not commented on individual posts so as to avoid discouraging anyone or getting into an argument. I am not suggesting anyone not post. I’m simply suggesting those of us who weigh in to help answer questions think about what we are posting and put some additional effort into using correct units for the benefit of those who are trying to learn.

I think that I’ve made the same mistake here as I have made at work several times supervising engineers. Sometimes I’ve attempted to avoid a confrontation with individuals who are causing a problem by making a general statement about expectations to the whole group. Our larger organization makes the same mistake often. The conscientious ones immediately start asking themselves what they did wrong when they really are not the problem, and the problem people remain happily oblivious that your comments were directed at them.

Edited by Jon R, 30 March 2022 - 02:30 PM.

Jon R

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 March 2022 - 02:41 PM

Do you say “mph per hour” when talking about average speed over an hour?

I don’t think it’s being overbearing to suggest we not use unit terms that are clearly physically incorrect. I have not commented on individual posts so as to avoid discouraging anyone or getting into an argument. I am not suggesting anyone not post. I’m simply suggesting those of us who weigh in to help answer questions think about what we are posting and put some additional effort into using correct units for the benefit of those who are trying to learn.

I think that I’ve made the same mistake here as I have made at work several times supervising engineers. Sometimes I’ve attempted to avoid a confrontation with individuals who are causing a problem by making a general statement about expectations to the whole group. Our larger organization makes the same mistake often. The conscientious ones immediately start asking themselves what they did wrong when they really are not the problem, and the problem people remain happily oblivious that your comments were directed at them.

Hey Jon… are you talking to me? I can’t recall making any such errors, but hey, my blind spots are invisible to me. Please let me know.

Also, the corporate culture you mention being part of is quite common. Being direct can be a kinder (not nicer) approach. Have you read Fred Kofman’s book “Conscious Business”? Brilliant, IMNSHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users