• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 30 March 2022 - 03:45 PM

I have a 2015 Ram 3500 with 105,000 miles upon which I carry a 2000 pound camper.  I updated the rotors and pads about 40k ago.  I am hoping to keep this rig for years to come and am working through replacing components that could fail given the truck's age and mileage.  

One such component are the brake lines.  I have done a fair amount of research into whether or not they are worth it and the vast majority of things I have read and the people I have spoken with all agree that for competition driving they are essential.  For regular and off road driving however, the general consensus is that, other than providing a firmer brake pedal, they are not necessary.

I'd appreciate any feedback from those of you who have switched to stainless from rubber or any opinions on whether or not they are necessary.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 March 2022 - 04:56 PM

IF the lines need replacing, then replacing with SS can't hurt (other than your pocketbook).  Will you notice a difference?  Highly unlikely.  

#3 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 30 March 2022 - 06:06 PM

Leaking? Plugged up? No need to change, stainless lines offer protection for competition because of high heat in the fluid from braking. The vehicle being only seven years old and only 100k, the lines should be just fine. It would not hurt to flush the system out and change the fluid if very dark. You can get a test kit to test the fluid and determine if any work is needed. NAY

Edited by fish more, 30 March 2022 - 06:07 PM.

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 March 2022 - 06:19 PM

Original stock steel lines on our truck with 228,000 miles. Flush and change the brake fluid every two years. The truck is ready to go anywhere.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 March 2022 - 06:24 PM

Ski is on the right track... change the fluid often, at least once every two years. 

#6 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 30 March 2022 - 08:46 PM

Agree on changing the fluid, something probably fewer than one percent of vehicle owners do as often as they should. Also, have you upgraded your fluid? It's the cheapest way to improve fade resistance. At the risk of more self-promotion, I'll link a relevant article again, here.

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:29 PM

Agree on changing the fluid, something probably fewer than one percent of vehicle owners do as often as they should. Also, have you upgraded your fluid? It's the cheapest way to improve fade resistance. At the risk of more self-promotion, I'll link a relevant article again, here.

Yup, from DOT 3 to DOT 4

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:41 PM

Yup, from DOT 3 to DOT 4

Excellent!

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 March 2022 - 02:49 AM

It used to be that the pre-made -3AN SS hoses had a little tiny tube between the crimp ferrule and the backside of the nut. This made them rather fragile. I know that some mfg's have addressed this, but I don't know that all of them have.

If you are going into remote enough, and rough enough, where a torn brake line could be a life threatening situation then I'd suggest learning how to build -3AN brake hoses. Buy enough that you have one extra of each unique fitting and hose end, and enough extra hose to make the longest hose on the vehicle. Then you can make a new brake hose in the wilderness. For those vehicles that I have put SS hoses on I've done exactly that.

In a non-competition situation that is the only reason that I would go with them on an off-road driven vehicle. They are easier to kink and rupture than an OEM rubber hose.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 31 March 2022 - 10:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the sage advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users