Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:17 AM

Thanks everyone for the sage advice.

Just in thyme, eh?

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 April 2022 - 02:45 AM

Oh know, it's bleeding over....

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 07 April 2022 - 12:25 AM

stainless lines will tend to give you a different, firmer pedal feel. The rubber lines provide more modulation but switching you will probably get used to the feel over a short period of time. And there are brake line shops that do provide I think DOT legal and tested lines if that is a concern, or you can buy the hose and reusable (not crimped) ends but they are much more money...but a kit is not a bad idea to keep in the spare parts box  

#14 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 27 April 2022 - 05:23 AM

Fantastic article Mr. Hanson - you packed all the key points into one of the most comprehensive articles on braking that I have ever read. But I feel slighted since there is no mention of a "hydroboost" braking system in one-ton trucks such as mine :)

While racing I ran stainless steel brake lines from Goodridge primarily because they were free and they offered a contingency package that paid. One thing I did learn is that once brake fluid is overheated it loves to pull air into the system as it cools. Even in small amounts this adds up when at the limits of performance so it was common to flush the complete brake system between race weekends. My recommendation is that if your brake fluid does become overheated and you are working on the system it might be a good time to flush with new fluid. Degassing is expensive and few people have the specialized equipment.

Not sure if it was mentioned previously although glycol-based fluids can be swapped (DOT 3, 4 and 5.1)

DOT 5 is silicone-based and can NOT be mixed with others.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#15 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 May 2022 - 03:34 AM

I've been running factory assembled SS brake lines on the front of my K5 for years.  One main reason is the stock brake line length were acting as a limiting strap to the suspension travel.  The second reason was stability to not expand under pressure like stock rubber lines can, which is where the firmer feel comes from.   I will admit, the firmer feel is only felt if you drive a similar truck with rubber lines, back to back with one with SS lines though.  But one other thing SS lines are less likely to do is collapse like a rubber line can.   I've had that happen on my previous K5.   The line would allow pressure to flow to the brake caliper but not allow it to release when the pedal was released.  This would cause the brake caliper on that side to drag to the point of cooking the rotor and pads and locking up the wheel.  

If a truck is a stock height the main reason I got my SS lines for is not really applicable.  So it really makes the expense in the upgrade less of a necessity.   

I would make it a point to inspect during maintenance and if there are any signs of cracking or damage to a rubber brake line, replace the line as required.  I would suggest, if you do wish to upgrade, replace in pairs.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users