15 replies to this topic

#1 Rebele93

Rebele93

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Colorado

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:35 PM

I thought I’d share how I mounted our weBoost.  It really helps to have this turned on when we are in low coverage areas.  We did also add on the Wilson long-range antenna for better coverage than the one that ships with the unit. 

I initially had trouble coming up with a good place or way to mount this.    There were 3 problems I was trying to solve. 

1. Where to mount things both inside and outside of the camper. The internal antenna needs to be a good distance away from wherever you mounted the external antenna or you get interference and the light flashes red and won’t work at all. I’m guessing the tent walls of the 4WCs might not be helping in the situation. 

2. Wires and where to run them to keep them from getting tangled or being overly unsightly.    So many wires…  I also didn’t want to drill any holes through my camper.   

3. Strange shape and weight of the weBoost makes mounting it or securing it to the wall a real head-scratcher. The most expensive heavy duty velcro didn’t work AT ALL to secure it to the wall. Plus I felt like the weight was maybe not good for the wall surface. (felt like it was pulling the surface off of the wall)

I ended up making my own basic antenna mount for the rear left jack bracket.    I ran the antenna cable from the rear jack-bracket into the camper at the bottom corner of the door. Most of the antenna wires then get run between the exterior liner and the inside fabric liner, over to between the sink and stove where I used a bicycle wall mount bracket(bent slightly) to secure the weBoost to the countertop with 2 small screws. In this location, the weBoost Drive does not touch either the glass top of the stove, or sing when they are open.  There might be a small risk of water splashes in this location.   I then ran the internal antenna wire and the power wire under the bed rail and added some stick-on clips to secure the wire in place so it would stay mostly out of sight, but more importantly, a semi-permanent installation that doesn’t interfere with the bed sliding in and out.  I velcroed the power brick to the countertop in the back corner and also Vercrod the internal antenna down to the shelf where it sets to keep it in place during transit.   

Our phones just sit on the little shelf next to the inside antenna.      This shelf gets the inside antenna far enough away from the external antenna to not cause the interference that gave us trouble initially.   Our phones can still be plugged into the camper to charge overnight with only slightly longer charging cables. 

Don’t forget that the weBoost is a power hog, so we unplug it completely when we have even a slight signal and then just turn it on if we need to make a call or if the connection is too weak.    

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • Ext antenna bracket(2).jpg
  • Ext antenna bracket(1).jpg

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 02 April 2022 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for this! I've been contemplating adding such a system to our camper.

Did the external antenna mounting instructions mention anything about being away from other antennas?

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 April 2022 - 07:53 PM

Ok....can you define "power hog" and when does this allow connections?....how weak of a signal will it bring in?  I know most of my questions are subjective and conditions are highly variable, but trying to figure out the value of the set-up....like when and how often would it be used...

Excellent set of photos...

https://www.wilsonsi...kit-470354.html

Edited by Wallowa, 02 April 2022 - 07:56 PM.

#4 Rebele93

Rebele93

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 01:57 PM

It can't do magic, but it will take a half bar signal and boost it up to 2 bars.   It also depends on the network you use.   I'm on Goofle FI which piggy-backs on other networks.  The weBoost works WAY better for my wife's phone on AT&T.   Often times I can't connect at all but my wife's phone goes from 1/2-1 bar up to 2 or three.   So I guess it depends on your particular service provider.      

I don't remember any instructions about interference from other antennas and I didn't have any others in that spot.   We had to experiment with lots of locations before we settled in on the locations to mount things that worked best for us.   

#5 Rebele93

Rebele93

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 02:10 PM

The official power consumption of the booster is 5 volts 4.5 amps.  We have enough solar to offset it, but the device does get warm when in use.  I figure if we can run a heating blanket off the camper battery, we can run this!  Power might be a major issue for some people so I thought I'd mention it.

We really only turn it on when we notice coverage dropping out and when there is a need for it.     It allows us to work in even more remote locations using 5g on our phones to our tethered laptops. 

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 April 2022 - 11:54 PM

I had one of these, and sold it to another WtW camper.  It is ideal when you are a long ways away from a cell tower.  Best I ever saw mine do was on the Hole in the Rock road, at the Willow Gulch Trailhead.  The closest tower is in Escalante, 42 miles away.  Went from 1 bar to 3.

I found the system a little confining.  What I mean is, by design, it picks up cell signals, and rebroadcasts cell signals.  The booster is smart enough to detect feedback, and it is quite sensitive.  So the internal signal that is rebroadcast comes out of a small candy bar sized antenna.  I found I had to literally velcro my phone to the internal antenna to get the best signal.  2' away and almost all the "boost" disappeared.  

Apparently the best way to mount the antennas is to have them vertically on top of each other.  There is a "null" underneath the booster antenna (I used the optional RV/Trucker antenna, and raised my 2' above the roof of the camper when in use).

My new system is much more sophisticated, and rebroadcasts wifi instead of cell, so there is no way to get feedback.  Looking forward to testing it out this camping season!

#7 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 08 April 2022 - 01:56 AM

My new system is much more sophisticated, and rebroadcasts wifi instead of cell, so there is no way to get feedback.  Looking forward to testing it out this camping season!

What's your new system? With the weBoost, there''s only one inside antenna - but we have 2 phones and 2 PCs. T-Mobile hotspot works - but only up to 5 Gb. After 5 Gb we have used PdaNet, but its WiFi mode is not working with Android 12 and Pixel 6 pro

People are right about proximity. I taped a piece of shelf no-skid rubber to the indoor antenna and sit my phone on top of it. I've also got both an omnidirectional high-gain multi-band antenna and a yagi, if necessary,.

There are a bunch of apps that make finding a signal with the omnidirectional and then pointing the yagi - LTE Discovery is one of the better ones. On a trip right now using and LTE Discovey shows -98 dB (4 bars) on a tower 49 km  (35 mi) away to the NE with the weBoost omnidirectional antenna,

Edited by Jack, 08 April 2022 - 02:24 AM.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 02:39 AM

Jack, I bought this system: Speed Demon VR2 Mobile Internet Bundle – MobileMustHave.com

with the Parsec Husky Pro 7 antenna.

Nice that you have that Yagi and a way to point it.  I've thought of having both antenna types available, but will try this new system first.  Nice thing is I can have it running while driving, and the phone/tablet in the truck is using wifi off the new system.  

#9 Gottago4it

Gottago4it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 10:12 PM

Jack, I bought this system: Speed Demon VR2 Mobile Internet Bundle – MobileMustHave.com

with the Parsec Husky Pro 7 antenna.

Nice that you have that Yagi and a way to point it.  I've thought of having both antenna types available, but will try this new system first.  Nice thing is I can have it running while driving, and the phone/tablet in the truck is using wifi off the new system.  

Vic, did you have to drill through your roof to mount the Parsec antenna?

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 06:36 AM

No, because i already had tracks on the roof. I mounted the parsec to an 18” square plate of 1/4” thick aluminum for the ground plane. Works great!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weBoost, weBoost Drive, antenna, antenna mount, fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users