• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Montana Camper

Montana Camper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 08:03 PM

Our 2009 Hallmark Milner is closing unevenly and, according to Hallmark, 1 of 2 things need to be done:
1) the blocks may be out of time and need to be retimed OR
2) the collar may need to be loosened and reset

I’m enclosing pics (hopefully this works) of the lift system and you can see how the torsion bars aren’t evenly spaced on the threaded bar.
Anyone know how to safely accomplish the suggested fixes from Hallmark?06772B66-F02C-4AEA-9834-555636E95684.jpeg 432E3876-24EE-4877-A0D3-20F0A8A68A14.jpeg 13720C47-CDFB-4F71-93F2-127D2D8A1DC9.jpeg 95C183C6-C223-4B86-83D8-FBF749EA2E91.jpeg 5CF3F09A-DEBF-476E-B55A-813360D9833B.jpeg

Attached Thumbnails

• 0A790ED1-A716-4676-819D-E204E09FCE2F.jpeg

Edited by Montana Camper, 03 April 2022 - 02:35 PM.

#2 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 06:41 PM

We picked up a new Ute in October and don't have the motorized system like yours but the its use of torsion bars in the lift may be the same. I noticed the roof was settling down on the gasket about a quarter inch sooner on left side, that the roof cutout over the door was rubbing a little on the right side of the door frame, and measured the roof as being offset to the left about a half inch when raised a few inches for measuring purposes. Bill of Hallmark said it's best to keep tension off the torsion bars as often as possible, and that means regularly raising the roof when not using camper, something I said I'd do more frequently. He agreed a garage tall enough to store it with roof raised would be best (I may look at RV covers). The torsion bars are like those in some Chevy trucks and, if need be, can be adjusted after the initial adjustment following build. Matt concurred it was OK to cut the roof cutout over door a little larger and I did so, allowing roof to lower fully and more evenly.

My thought on yours is that perhaps the torsion bars stretched unevenly, somewhat like the way any vehicle that sits may have it's springs sag more in one corner than another. If the roof is raised and lowered a few times and left up more often than not, over a few weeks time I wonder if your torsion bars would return to some more even level of twist and make the blocks return to a normal position?

#3 Montana Camper

Montana Camper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 07:13 PM

Interesting idea. We store it for months undercover with the lid down. One reason our bars are uneven could be that the motor was accidentally turned on when closed, pushing the lid down further and probably throwing everything out of alignment with the extra torque. It still lifts up but goes down on one side closer to the body of the camper and rubbing on it. Seems like unscrewing the bar on one side and moving the block over or moving one of the cylinders on either side of the motor over would solve the issue but not sure how to do that.
Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users