13 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 May 2022 - 04:30 PM

teledork, thank you sharing your insightful views as a resident of the eastern Sierra, many of which I share. I've been deeply involved in local issues over the years and have, basically, ended up frustrated with the political process. I have given up. I have seen meaningful attempts at long term solutions pushed aside. I have repeatedly told local agency officials, "Show me your decision is what's best for the land and I'll be your strongest supporter." Over and over I've seen the final decision obviously based on other interests. I have yearned for someone with courage to break that trend. I have given up.

I have little hope for a rebirth of outdoor users with "a soul." A lack of any attention span, short term gratification, and no responsibility, sadly, appear to be the norms these days.

I will stay in my hole and only occasionally poke my head out.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 May 2022 - 04:35 PM

Teledork and Monte,

It is very hard to cope with the maddening crowds. In so many ways. Thanks for your efforts

Our modern construct of government and business relies on economic growth and expansion to keep things going. If future growth projections are flatlined, then maintaining current infrastructure and services becomes unsustainable. I don't know how, or if, we can get ourselves out of this situation. After a long career of trying to repair environmental damages and interacting with hundreds, more likely thousands, of elected officials at all levels, my take-away is they do not have the tools or the citizen mandate to change course voluntarily. However, natural events, processes and forces will sort us out eventually. Whether or not we will be around to see the outcome, well... remains to be seen.

Meanwhile I will try to respectfully explore and enjoy the wild lands as long as I can.

Best wishes in your journeys.

Tony

Edited by AWG_Pics, 11 May 2022 - 04:40 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#13 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:14 PM

Our modern construct of government and business relies on economic growth and expansion to keep things going. If future growth projections are flatlined, then maintaining current infrastructure and services becomes unsustainable. 

And if nothing changes nothing is "sustainable". Nearly every day I count my blessings that I am not young and I have no offspring. 

#14 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:21 PM

I have little hope for a rebirth of outdoor users with "a soul." A lack of any attention span, short term gratification, and no responsibility, sadly, appear to be the norms these days.

That is the very sad truth. I became an educator more than 40 years ago because I thought I could inspire, that I could "be the change I wanted to see". I only rarely poke my head out now too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users