Photo
- - - - -

F-150 With Heavy Duty Payload Package, First Hand Experience?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 brp

brp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 10:49 PM

Hi everyone.  I am considering a Granby and have shopped F250's and F150s with HDPP. 

The F150 has more payload in some circumstances, 2,490lbs specifically in the configuration I am looking at.   I really want to make the F150 work, but I am interested in the subjective thoughts and advice of those with firsthand experience.  

Does the F250 drive with more confidence even though the payloads are basically a tie (2500# vs #2700)?  I'm old now and don't want to white knuckle-it....you know what I mean?  Easy driving, "like its not even there."   But if the driving confidence/handling is the same/similar, then I'd like the cheaper, more efficient, smaller F150.   

Whatever truck I end up with will not be daily driven.  

Thanks a lot for any advice.

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 09 April 2022 - 11:12 PM

I was recently superduty shopping and have one on order. In many cases the F250 payload is more of a registration/gvwr sticker aspect than its actual capabilities, some states registration/insurance is cheaper for 3/4T (some states a 1T is cheaper, many its minimal difference). IE differences between an F250 and F350 are minimal (springs can be different) and sometimes non-existent as in all the components are the same except the badging and sticker stating a 10000lb gvwr. My point is the F250 while sporting a 2700lb payload in the configuration you're looking at has the same frame/brakes and depending on how you order it same everything as an F350. Its not pushing anything to roll with that payload is my point.

I can't speak for the newer F150 with high payload package but a decade back when I had a 1/2T that was running near its payload all the time it didn't handle as well as when I switched to a 3/4T.

For what its worth in realizing there really isn't any difference between a F250 w/ camper package and an F350, I went ahead an ordered an F350 (hopefully they build it... man the supply chain is messed up!). Because whether running a truck camper or pulling a trailer (I have both) with 5 passengers in the truck it really eats up payload so I figured the heck with it an ordered the 1T to have plenty of legal sticker margin.

2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 02:51 AM

Hello BRP

And welcome to the forum if you happen to be new.

I didn't know there was an upgrade in payload capacity on the 1/2 ton Fords.

We have a Grandby shell and I have a far off foggy notion of a new truck.....and sure wanted to try a 1/2 ton.

We have the lightest Grandby there is, and travel light.....

David Graves

#4 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 10 April 2022 - 05:26 AM

I have a 2018 Ford F150 with the HDPP. I had to order the truck. I have a custom build out Grandby Shell. I too wanted to travel light. My Shell additions had weight in mind. I love the 3.5L engine with its better gas mileage. That was a big decision factor for the F150. To me the truck has impressive power. It handles the camper easily & is under payload. The 10spd auto transmission takes most grades, also easily, w/o strain. It is awesome to manually (push button) choose a gear & limit the top end for great uphill ascent w/o lugging. Then conversely choose a gear for downhill descent & improved engine braking. I am up in North Coast Redwoods with intermittent internet but will be back later this week. I’ll try to throw out more detail & some real numbers. Easy driving & smoother ride with the camper. It’s there but not at all a burden.
With a, weightier, fully equipped FWC, a F250 is probably a better choice.

Edited by Stokeme, 10 April 2022 - 06:23 AM.

#5 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 April 2022 - 12:46 PM

Hello BRP and welcome.

I struggled with your question for a couple years when trying to decide which truck to buy. I was elated when Ford finally came out with the aluminum body which would mitigate rust issues and increase payload.

I looked at every option but when it came down to the nitty gritty the axle and brakes were the issues I could not ignore. I was planning to do off road stuff and was concerned about possible failures in the axle area or drive train. The thoughts about slowing down the beast I would have on the highway or even at slower speeds but with quick stopping needed just pushed me to the F250.

I knew in the end I would feel more secure with extra truck than a couple extra MPG.

Funny thing is after owning the truck for a few months I needed to get a leak fixed (no big deal) but they gave me an F150 loaner. Felt like I was driving a toy truck after driving the F250 and I didn't even have the camper yet

I have a customized Bundutec Sable, came in around 1600lbs dry. I have stable loads on the rear and I believe they do help. I have yet to do any real off road but I've been on some dirt roads. I like the setup and am glad I went bigger but can understand the allure of the F150 with HDP package.

Good luck with your purchase :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#6 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 10 April 2022 - 01:01 PM

When I got my Grandby shell I had a 2011 F150 Extended cab  8' box, 5.0 engine 4x4 3.73 axles and the heavy payload package (2200lb payload)

IMHO it's not enough truck. when I loaded up my gear for me and my 2 dogs for a 2 week trip I was very close to the GVWR.

I also experience a wallowing when going through dips at an angle. I installed airbags and at a fairly low pressure they did help with that.

With the camper on I got about 15-16mpg on a 2 lane road at 60-65mph. if I took it to 70-75mph on the interstate it was close to 12MPG.

I traded up to a 2021 F350 4x4 extended cab 8'bed 4x4 7.3L Gas 4.30 axles. my payload is 4800lbs. 11,800GVWR.

There is so little difference in payload from the F150 to the F250 I didn't see the point of the F250. I don't like running things at 90+% of their capacity.

Loaded for a 3 week trip I scaled at 10000lbs. for me it is an only vehicle. I get about 13.5mpg around town. and on those 2 lane roads at 60-65mph about 15MPG

this truck is capable of anything I want to do with it, it is a big heavy truck. I don't see that much difference in driving it compared to the F150.

With the current market conditions good luck finding a truck.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 10 April 2022 - 07:23 PM

I traded up to a 2021 F350 4x4 extended cab 8'bed 4x4 7.3L Gas 4.30 axles. my payload is 4800lbs. 11,800GVWR.

There is so little difference in payload from the F150 to the F250 I didn't see the point of the F250. I don't like running things at 90+% of their capacity.

Just an FYI as I was mentioning above when it comes to the newer F250 (may factor into others too but I know for research in this case) the lower payload is a reflection of the GVWR the truck is marketed at versus the capabilities, there is little difference (sometimes no difference) between the F250 and F350. A tremor F250 for instance is the exact same truck except the badging as an F350. Some F250 have a slightly lighter springs than the F350, some are the same.

Point is I wouldn't want to run a half ton at 90+% of its capacity but I wouldn't have that same concern with a current F250. That said I ordered an F350 to have mover "legal capacity" on the sticker and also I could get a 3.73 rear end vs 3.55s, I was concerned the 4.30 would be less economical unloaded at 80-85mph on western highways.

2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#8 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 11 April 2022 - 12:25 PM

Just an FYI as I was mentioning above when it comes to the newer F250 (may factor into others too but I know for research in this case) the lower payload is a reflection of the GVWR the truck is marketed at versus the capabilities, there is little difference (sometimes no difference) between the F250 and F350. A tremor F250 for instance is the exact same truck except the badging as an F350. Some F250 have a slightly lighter springs than the F350, some are the same.

Point is I wouldn't want to run a half ton at 90+% of its capacity but I wouldn't have that same concern with a current F250. That said I ordered an F350 to have mover "legal capacity" on the sticker and also I could get a 3.73 rear end vs 3.55s, I was concerned the 4.30 would be less economical unloaded at 80-85mph on western highways.

NOTE: I both trucks I mentioned are 8' beds.The Tremor is only available as a crew cab 6.75'bed. I do not live in town and my truck does not have my camper on most of the time. I have more use for a truck with an 8' bed than most people.

The OP was asking about a truck for a Grandby (made for an 8' bed),

I would not recommend a short bed truck for a Grandby. yes it can be done but I have not enjoyed driving a loaded truck with the center of gravity really far back.

In states where registration cost is based on GVWR there may be more reason to get the F250 over the F350. but compared to what the truck costs does it really matter?

I do not have to be concerned with registration cost here in TN, my Insurance has been interesting because apparently I am unusual in owning a truck for personal use that most owners use commercially.

as far as MPG, you will not see an appreciable difference with the 3.73 vs 355 vs 4.30 at 80mph. You're pushing a big object through the air and it will take a lot of power to do it. If you're concerned about MPG's slow down it will help more.

My reasoning for getting the 7.3L engine and the 4.30 gears is:

1. Ive never had too much engine.

2. Ive never had too much gear

3. this may be the last truck I buy

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 11 April 2022 - 03:01 PM

NOTE: I both trucks I mentioned are 8' beds.The Tremor is only available as a crew cab 6.75'bed. I do not live in town and my truck does not have my camper on most of the time. I have more use for a truck with an 8' bed than most people.

The OP was asking about a truck for a Grandby (made for an 8' bed),

I would not recommend a short bed truck for a Grandby. yes it can be done but I have not enjoyed driving a loaded truck with the center of gravity really far back.

In states where registration cost is based on GVWR there may be more reason to get the F250 over the F350. but compared to what the truck costs does it really matter?

I do not have to be concerned with registration cost here in TN, my Insurance has been interesting because apparently I am unusual in owning a truck for personal use that most owners use commercially.

as far as MPG, you will not see an appreciable difference with the 3.73 vs 355 vs 4.30 at 80mph. You're pushing a big object through the air and it will take a lot of power to do it. If you're concerned about MPG's slow down it will help more.

My reasoning for getting the 7.3L engine and the 4.30 gears is:

1. Ive never had too much engine.

2. Ive never had too much gear

3. this may be the last truck I buy

I wasn't in any way trying to imply get a short bed, I was merely using the tremor as a known example where if you order a F250 or F350 there is no functional difference in the trucks except the badging and sticker. I was making the point that an F250 is essentially "derated" and that if you're running at 90+% of the payload on that platform you aren't actually pushing anything in terms of components. Also to point out don't be afraid of an F350 thinking its going to have a harsher ride than a F250, in cases they are sprung the same, what options you order matter more than which badge if ride quality is a concern.

I think some states can gouge alot for a 1T but that's where as a consumer you need to be aware, its not a big deal here that I am aware so I ordered an F350. As an example in the other direction my buddy in MN ordered a 1T because its actually cheaper to register than a 3/4T in that state he said. :)

Caveat : The below is just my brain being nerdy, not being argumentative, I appreciate differing perspectives and do change my opinions when merited. :)

Off hand its hard to imagine there wouldn't be an appreciable difference between 3.73 and 4.3's at western highway speeds. With the all terrain tires that are 34.1", a good 300+ rpm difference between the two and in my mind in meaningful ways (rpms over 2000rpm). I mean if there were extra overdrive gears (in addition to the 3 already there) it would neutralize that concern with the 4.3s but as is those extra 300rpm required seem like they'll spool the engine more in a gas consuming way. 

2000rpm 10th gear 3.73 = 79.3mph (~2300rpm with 4.3)

2150rpm 10th gear 3.73 = 85.2mph (~2480rpm with 4.3)

1600rpm 10th gear 3.73 = 63.4mph (~55mph with 4.3)

1700rpm 10th gear 3.73 = 67.4mph (~58.5mph with 4.3)

1800rpm 10th gear 3.73 = 71.4mph (~61.9mph with 4.3)

1900rpm 10th gear 3.73 = 75.3mph (~65.3mph with 4.3)

I acknowledge wind resistance is a major factor but that aside it would seem to me that 2000 vs 2300rpm would slurp some more gas. The 4.3s cost another ~$400. Right now 1-2mpg difference over the course of a year with $4+/gal gas is a few hundred difference. If I have the vehicle for a decade or more (ideally my plan) that could be $3000-4000 difference (or more if gas keeps climbing...). That cost is reasonable to bear IF I'm reasonably gaining something with the 4.3s.  But in my use cases am I? Running <1500lb pop up truck campers, currently towing <7000lb travel trailer and fairly unlikely to tow more than 10000lb. With the low end torque of the 7.3 it doesn't readily seem like 4.3s are needed for that BUT I wish there was some notable testing on the two configurations in real life, maybe the 4.3s make a bit of difference in how much downshifting, dunno.

#10 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 11 April 2022 - 07:52 PM

We have a 2013 Ford F-150 HD regular cab (5.0 V-8) with the payload package and over 115,000 miles (on both the camper and the truck) and it works very well, very nimble.  We have friends with an extended cab long bed F-150 HD with the payload package who are also very happy and over 100,000 miles.  Neither camper has needed air bags or any modification.  Everything depends on your purpose which is not stated and personality.  I would not recommend the F-150 HD for rock climbing or pulling a trailer with the camper on, i.e. rock climbing or combo with trailer are F-250 or better.  The regular cab F-150 HD is a very "light on it's feet" with a lot of range on a tank of gas and can turn around in a small space.  The extended cab long bed F-150 HD is a transcontinental beast.  Our friends have traveled from the mid west through Canada over and over with their F-150 extended cab long bed HD.  

Personality issues:  if you want a lot of metal buy an F-350, if you want a "Tacoma on steroids" buy the F-150 HD.  

Both campers are Granby.

Edited by iowahiker, 11 April 2022 - 09:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users