• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 18 April 2022 - 05:25 PM

I always promote airing down to suit conditions. It's easier on the vehicle and occupants, provides better traction (or flotation) and reduces trail erosion. As such, I endorse almost any product that makes it easier to air down (and back up). However, I have to admit I thought the InDeflate was a bit too much of a good thing—until I tested one. It converted me.

The review (with links to other deflator options) is here

Cheers,

Jonathan

Edited by JHanson, 18 April 2022 - 05:25 PM.

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 April 2022 - 11:31 PM

Hi Jonathan,

Good write up and application. 

14 years ago I made my own to air up two tires and could let air out.  See images.

Uses a small pressure regulator with quick connect for hoses.  Inlet port for incoming air from compressor.  A valve stem chuck for attaching gauge.

Set the pressure regulator to value and drain tires or open the port for compressor fitting.  works as the one you tested. 

Thanks for sharing

20220418_161931_resized.jpg

20220418_162015_resized.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:58 AM

Years ago I built a tire pressure equalizing system using a self-coiling air hose and traditional style clip-on air chucks. IMHO something to do this is absolutely critical with a rear Detroit Locker. Not so much for the dirt, but for driving on pavement. A moderately sensitive driver can feel even a 2 psi difference in tire pressure.

Most of the clip-on chucks of that particular shape that I've encountered are poor chinesium copies and don't work very well.  Sounds like these are not that and this is good. My own favorite clip-on chucks are these inline Plews made chucks:

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B003V5GOSI

The sliding deflation valve in the InDeflate is the missing link of all home-brew such systems. I don't know of a COTS solution for that feature. I am aware of a similar sliding collar valve sold by mcmaster.com intended to be used for turning whole systems on and off, but I don't see how one of those can be used to create this exact arrangement.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:23 PM

Nice work Patrick!

Thom, thanks for the link on the clip-on chucks.

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 19 April 2022 - 03:23 PM

You're welcome. They're a little bulky, but thus far they have worked well for me.

Found a link to the traditional style that I used way back when: https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B008PZ7KJ6

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users