• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 18 April 2022 - 10:20 PM

I like to follow rules, but...  today I was out exploring and went to an old, abandoned mine.  When I got there, there was an old rusty sign that said:  "No Trespassing  Unauthorized Personnel Keep Out."  The sign looked like it had been installed when the mine was operating.  I've looked it up now and the last year the mine operated was in 1943.  I thought about what to do and I decided to walk onto the property.  But I felt uncomfortable being on the site so I didn't stay long and left.  

Comments or thoughts about walking pass the No Trespassing sign?

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 April 2022 - 10:39 PM

IMO in this day and age you never know who lurks around said property.

Would hate to encounter someone with a gun "defending" his property.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 18 April 2022 - 10:59 PM

I agree with Frank, you are better off staying out of a posted area. You never know what to expect they days!!

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 April 2022 - 11:04 PM

If, when out exploring, we start feeling uncomfortable, we leave. Stick to the safe side.

You were probably correct about the old sign.................but I think you did the right thing by leaving when you were uncomfortable. At times, in "iffy" situations like this, we will make noise to be sure, if someone's around, we don't surprise someone. Like making noise when in grizzly country.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 18 April 2022 - 11:55 PM

I'll jump in with a different perspective, with the caveat that I've gotten myself in trouble a few times.  

If the no trespassing sign looks old and there are no signs of current activity or habitation, I'd enter the property.  I'll look for fresh tire tracks or footprints, seeing none is a reassuring sign.  If the property is not fenced or if the fence has fallen down or is otherwise in poor condition that is more reason to feel comfortable entering.  

A trick I've used if there is only one no trespassing sign at the entrance is to circle around and enter from the other side, where there is no sign.  That gives me plausible deniability that I didn't see a sign.

To be clear, I would never take anything or damage any property, just look around.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#6 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 April 2022 - 11:56 PM

As others have said - trust your instinct to leave when you feel it. I look for people 'sign' just as we do for animal 'sign' -- and then act accordingly.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 18 April 2022 - 11:57 PM

Ha!  Tell me where is this mine property?  Would like to explore it....notwithstanding that, I don't disturb where I explore, nor do I "collect" anything....but as the song says "Signs, signs, everywhere signs..." ...I am just an old fart who respects property rights but isn't fearful of 'taking a look' if appropriate... B) Need to pull the tail of dragon occasionally ...

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 April 2022 - 11:59 PM

Its one thing to wander around a mining site. Stay out the mine itself. Its probably been abandoned but you never know for sure.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 April 2022 - 12:07 AM

I like to follow rules, but...  today I was out exploring and went to an old, abandoned mine.  When I got there, there was an old rusty sign that said:  "No Trespassing  Unauthorized Personnel Keep Out."  The sign looked like it had been installed when the mine was operating.  I've looked it up now and the last year the mine operated was in 1943.  I thought about what to do and I decided to walk onto the property.  But I felt uncomfortable being on the site so I didn't stay long and left.  

Comments or thoughts about walking pass the No Trespassing sign?

A close friend who spent his entire career as a fisheries biologist in Alaska said the only thing he feared more than a cow moose with a calf, was walking into a mining camp.

Discretion is the better part of valor… you made the correct choice.

I am haunted by waters

#10 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 19 April 2022 - 01:36 AM

Thanks for all your comments.  Here is a bit more info.  The site is in Nevada, SW of Silver Peak.  As I drove up to it, I could view most of the site - no trees.  I never thought that someone might be there, but maybe I should have.  My fear was that the owner/manager would drive up and yell at me for not following the sign.  While on the site I saw recent warning signs regarding safety around the headframe and adits but these warning signs were not at the road entrance.  To me it was clear that the intent of the sign to keep people away was when it was an operating mine.  The mine operations had stopped but the sign wasn't removed.  Hum.  

On a somewhat more positive note, for those that like to investigate old mines, I went to a mine west of Pioche.  There weren't any signs except to let everyone know that it was an active claim.  That mine had equipment and old timber that could be stolen, but no one was keeping the general public out.  

And one more positive note.  The BLM office in Caliente was a wonderful source of information and extremely helpful suggesting places to visit.

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users