42 replies to this topic

#41 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 May 2022 - 04:35 PM

That's a great idea for immersion, too:  Field trip guidebooks!  Most states have non-governmental associations of geologists, most of which are academics but in high activity areas for oil and gas and mining, often including industry geologists, too.  Back East, the Carolina Geological Society (CGS) meets annually for a 2 day bus borne field trip.  Surely other state societies do so also.  I recently "discovered" the fine work of "Friends of the Pleistocene" in Nevada and California, which points to opportunities for field trips and related guidebooks from other types of organizations also.

Hmmmm, I've got 2 days in Elko this summer, one being to see the big Silver State Stampede rodeo.  Might need to run down to the Rubies and bomb around in the truck the next day before heading out to Jarbidge.  

THANKS Tony!

Foy

#42 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 May 2022 - 08:01 PM

Foy

There is a sweet US Forest Service campground just north of Shanty Town.

https://www.google.c...5.4942589?hl=en

We've stayed there twice and liked it a lot. If you want to fish, it is permitted in the waters of the nearby wildlife refuge. Lots of good birds too. 

Enjoy the Stampede. I have been wanting to get into the Jarbidge Mtns. Curious what you think about them.

Tony

Edited by AWG_Pics, 10 May 2022 - 08:01 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#43 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 11 May 2022 - 02:10 AM

Yup - I got the lasted Roadside Geology books.  And I've used some field guides, but I usually find them for places I'm not going.  ha ha.  Thanks to the guide for the Rubys.  Seeing the Rubys has been on my todo list for years.  And yes Foy, tell us about Jarbidge.  I don't know why but exploring that area has also been on my todo list.  I don't remember why I found the area interesting, perhaps it is as simple as the name Jarbidge sounds interesting and it is somewhat in the middle of nowhere. 

I have found a number of local geologic societies in the west.  That is where I find a number of lectures given by professors.  And some have field trips that I drool over, but mostly I've found that dogs aren't allowed, or it would be difficult with my dogs.  The dogs aren't staying home.   

The fun will continue.  My next trip will be this fall to ??     

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users