17 replies to this topic

#1 genesis379

genesis379

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 28 April 2022 - 04:25 AM

Wondering if anyone has advice for putting a '16 Hawk front dinette on a '06 Tundra AC? Apparently the front dinette specifically can be an extremely tight fit and sometimes not possible. We attempted to slide it in last weekend without success. It seems to be just shy of passing between the more narrow area where the tailgate would be. We hate to sell it and start over. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 28 April 2022 - 06:07 AM

Give FWC a call. Have your Hawk serial #, mfg date handy. They should be able to tell you what truck it was built for and if there are changes to fit your truck. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 m5040

m5040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 28 April 2022 - 12:34 PM

You have 4 choices,1.make camper narrower (sand plane or reconstruct),2. cut out the part of the bed that is too narrow then have reinforced and repainted and make sure wheel wells are not going to be a problem, 3.buy a flatbed for the truck (you could sell your bed and recoup some of the cost and install tool boxes for great extra storage, or 4.buy a different camper.

#4 genesis379

genesis379

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 28 April 2022 - 01:25 PM

Give FWC a call. Have your Hawk serial #, mfg date handy. They should be able to tell you what truck it was built for and if there are changes to fit your truck.

Paul

#5 genesis379

genesis379

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 28 April 2022 - 01:30 PM

I appreciate it Paul. Stan sent our info to the service department so hopefully they will have an idea. One of the members on here mentioned throwing our dilemma out to the wtw community as well. This is our first time engaging with members on here. We are learning what an amazing group of people there are here-so supportive and responsive.

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 28 April 2022 - 02:41 PM

Just looked at your pictures. I had a 2013 Hawk on my 2005 Tundra less than 1/2 inch each side. Noticed you have a spray in bed liner. How thick is the liner, can you remove it where it is tight?

Not a great picture but gives you an idea of how tight it is. 

med_gallery_1903_342_140006.jpg

Edited by billharr, 28 April 2022 - 03:14 PM.

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 April 2022 - 03:14 PM

I have been in communications with Geneis...our '05 Tundra SR5 AC [with Rhino Liner like theirs] and '16 Hawk...Our Hawk [box] cleared the wheel wells by 1/2" on each side and cleared the rear inboard bed extensions where tailgate [removed] mounted by about 1/8" on each side....so yes, it will fit with a precise controlled effort...when I bought our Hawk the salesman had me back the Tundra up to and under the Hawk to mount it...good practice..once through wheel wells, the wells act as guides all the way to placing the bumpers against the front of the bed.  Trick is to avoid clipping the corner jacks while backing in...

As I told Geneis [PC] the only wild card if whether or not their  '06 Tundra bed size is slightly different...I doubt that...nor should the exterior dimensions of their Hawk be different than ours regardless of interior floor plans [side vs front mounted dinette] ..

Just my .02Cents worth....

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 28 April 2022 - 03:15 PM.

#8 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 28 April 2022 - 08:22 PM

Option No.5 is replace the truck with one that fits the camper.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#9 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 12:40 AM

we have an ATC Ocelot on an 05 Tundra AC and the clearance is very tight I would say less than 1/2" on either side. Carefully measure and if it will fit, just need to be very careful and take your time to load. We leave ours on fulltime due to the tight fit.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 29 April 2022 - 02:42 AM

we have an ATC Ocelot on an 05 Tundra AC and the clearance is very tight I would say less than 1/2" on either side. Carefully measure and if it will fit, just need to be very careful and take your time to load. We leave ours on fulltime due to the tight fit.

Concur with "...taking your time to load."

Don't sell anything until you have taken the time to repeatedly slide the Hawk into the bed of theTundra....it takes patience and practice to keep Hawk aligned down the center of the bed and with the same clearance between the wheel wells..

So far I have not heard anyone say that the type of interior design changes the exterior dimensions; nor has anyone said there is a difference in the bed dimensions between my '05 and your '06 Tundra..

Yes it is tight between the tailgate uprights but not so tight that it will not slide all the way forward until the bumpers are against the front of the bed...

Edited by Wallowa, 29 April 2022 - 02:43 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, Hawk, 1st gen tundra, tundra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users