2 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 May 2022 - 09:19 PM

I've been wanting to see just how bad it was especially in relation to its proximity to Antelope Lake. In spite of the high wind warnings I headed up. A good chance to see if all the work I've done and had done on the truck was worth it.  I entered the Forest from Beckwourth. As soon as I crossed the 03 road (the one with the vicious cow warning sign) and passed the pasture I could see where the fire had come across and headed up toward the Dixie Mountain Lookout (names are coincidental). Its ugly and quite large but to my surprise I exited the burn something like five miles before Lake. I'd heard they were worried it would head to Janesville so I was expecting it to be much closer to the lake. This area has had so many fires over the years its hard to tell which burns were Dixie and which were Walker and other fires. https://projects.cap....0985/-120.6644

The gate to Boulder creek campground was open. Only one other camper there. The winds did howl in the tops of the trees but didn't make it down to ground level. Did get a few light showers. 

Heading down Indian Creek was depressing but once again its difficult to tell which burn is which. Surprisingly Genessee didn't suffer as much as I had expected. Taylorsville which at one point during the Dixie fire sounded like they'd lose the town actually looks pretty good. The other side of 89 though looks as bad as I expected. Highway 70 was pretty bad in many areas. 

Truck ran a little warm going through the valley. I'm hoping I found the problem. I'll know in a little bit. I should have brought the Nikon. Not good stuff for the phone camera. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 08 May 2022 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the report, Craig.  I'm surprised you didn't run into mushroom hunters up there.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 07:54 PM

the Walker fire on the west/northwest side and the fairly consistent wind direction moved the fire across Red Meadow Creek and over to Black Mountain LO and 395. It ran east to the Beckwourth Complex fire and through Dixie Valley. Primarily wind driven all through that area.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users