25 replies to this topic

#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:47 AM

Good news Vic! I'm guessing they are already pretty beefy on a 3500? What size tire?

265/70R18. Brand new Yokohama Geolander A/t G015 installed just before our trip to Utah. Driven some interesting roads this past month, lots of washboard, some pretty rough forest & BLM roads. I air down for those and aired down even more for the sand we had to drive through to get to White Pocket Az.

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:48 AM

That said, I would put on taller tires in heartbeat if they fit more easily on a Chevy. Washboard and rough roads are smoother with bigger tires.

#13 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:59 AM

That said, I would put on taller tires in heartbeat if they fit more easily on a Chevy. Washboard and rough roads are smoother with bigger tires.

My 285/70s  rub when hitting a hard bump on a down hill turn in the front. You happy on 265s and a 3500 give me comfort in the notion of going back to a 255/70s  for my 1500 chevy. 

#14 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:01 PM

I really like the idea of going back to stock size and E rated tires. In addition to having a lower rotational mass the benefits will include better braking (always an issue with heavy rigs), less wear and tear on your transmission etc.

Only you know how rough a road you’ll want to handle, but it sounds like the stock set up will take you just about anywhere you’ll want to go.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#15 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:41 PM

I really like the idea of going back to stock size and E rated tires. In addition to having a lower rotational mass the benefits will include better braking (always an issue with heavy rigs), less wear and tear on your transmission etc.

Only you know how rough a road you’ll want to handle, but it sounds like the stock set up will take you just about anywhere you’ll want to go.

Can I get an AMEN!

#16 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:02 PM

Sad news. The tires I want are on a national wide backorder ( like everything else). 

I ordered 265/70 17s. Only gonna save me 32 pounds but I'll take it! At least my front wont rub anymore.

#17 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 May 2022 - 06:02 PM

I went with the stock tire size when I replaced with E rated tires, I like that the speedometer is accurate and I didn't take a hit with the gas mileage. 

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#18 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 June 2022 - 12:50 PM

Returning to this topic, here’s a great video by a very experienced Overlander, Dan Grec who is currently touring Australia in his recently built Jeep Gladiator on why he’s using stock tire size…

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 June 2022 - 01:06 PM

Returning to this topic, here’s a great video by a very experienced Overlander, Dan Grec who is currently touring Australia in his recently built Jeep Gladiator on why he’s using stock tire size…

https://youtu.be/-fBA0ajwjns

Eddie, thank you.  That’s a great video!

I am haunted by waters

#20 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 07 June 2022 - 04:10 PM

Great information indeed, thanks Eddie. Dan is speaking my language for sure. I do not intend on "off roading" my camper rig. I have my K5 for that kind of fun. His choice of tire size also makes me feel better about my decision to down size. With an original size of 255, I think that my new 265's are going to be perfect. No more rubbing the front end on bouncy down hill turning like I experience with my 285's. I might even squeak out a little better MPG as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users