• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 09 June 2022 - 05:20 PM

Hi I run a 1998 Chev 1/2 Ton. with stock E rated tires and air bags.stock everything else.  I use 4wd frequently to get where I need to go. Always over weight no problems. 120000 km from Alberta to Baja 4 times. I am a middle class dude who wants to retire early ( Read not wealthy)  So I am very careful to determine needs from wants. 350000km on this truck. No real problems with suspension. Door handles are another story . I think you will be fine with your rig and you can save some money abstaining from a new whiz banger heavy duty truck. 

this said when I need a new truck I may as well get a 3/4 ton or greater. 

I would endorse a sway bar though … even My air bags don’t prevent sway. 

#22 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 09 June 2022 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Ramblin, good to know!  I just ordered the sway bar also. Hoping that it fits with my oversized exhaust.

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 June 2022 - 03:49 AM

Rambin, we need to meet up sometime.  I upgraded my 2006 to a 2015 duramax, and I miss the old girl.  

#24 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 14 July 2022 - 11:53 PM

I put on the smaller 275/70 17 Toyo's and love them already! No more rubbing in the front and the narrower tire actually feels more responsive on the road. I feel way lighter on my feet and already seeing almost 1 MPG gain in just the one day they have been installed. I even think they make the truck look a little "tougher" with some space around the tires in the wheel well.

Edited by Cpt Davenport, 14 July 2022 - 11:58 PM.

#25 rruff

rruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationRuidoso, NM

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:15 AM

I do not intend on "off roading" my camper rig.

In that case I'd very strongly suggest street tread, Look at Michelin Defenders and Nitto Duragrapplers.

#26 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:55 AM

In that case I'd very strongly suggest street tread, Look at Michelin Defenders and Nitto Duragrapplers.

Thanks but I'm already running the smaller Toyos and they have been awesome. I guess my definition of "off roading" might be different than others. In the month that I have owned the camper, I have been on several back country, severely rutted dirt roads, all over the beach and through several river crossings. I save the "off roading" for mudding and rock crawling and hill climbs in my Blazer and believe me, you are hanging on for dear life.  :) Toyos are working great so far on the camper in a variety of conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users