#1 Alvis

Alvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 23 May 2022 - 12:25 PM

All juvenile jokes aside. I have a 2015 F150 and ran into this problem. Apparently many vehicles today use a two piece lug nut. It has a inner nut and a outer cap/shell. Repeated air tool removal, environmental issues, etc causes them to swell and you will not be able to get your socket on them. Talking with discount tire people they see it all the time. They keep a 1/2 mm larger socket around just to get them off. Long story to say… check your nuts … so you are not caught in a bad spot and can’t get your tire tool on it. Invest in some solid bolts and replace defective ones now or on tire rotation.

https://www.caranddr...lawsuit-claims/

https://www.freep.co...cap/1835282002/

I put these on my truck:

https://www.american...-f150-ford.html

if you google it, it apparently is not just a Ford issue, as GM uses them as well.  

Edited by Alvis, 23 May 2022 - 01:40 PM.

2015 F150 Supercab 6.5 foot bed 2.7

2016 ATC Ocelot side dinette

http://alvisontheroad.blogspot.com/

#2 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 23 May 2022 - 03:40 PM

I ran into this problem a few months ago.  Luckily, it was discovered during a normal tire rotation and not in an emergency situation.  My local tire guy said that it is becoming a real problem.  As Alvis noted above, don't buy replacement Ford lug nuts , , , they cost more and the problem will reoccur.

I have been very happy with my 2017 F150 but here is another problem that I encountered when I bought it.  I took off the stock tires to replace them with E range tires.  The tire shop called and said they could not replace the spare because the locking mechanism was not the same as the rest of the locks on the truck.  Someone at the factory had installed the wrong lock.  Ford quickly fixed it but had I not been replacing the tires upon purchase, i would likely have learned of that screw up out in the boondocks somewhere with no way to fix it.  Moral of the story, if you have not already done it, please check to be sure that you can release your spare before you head out on your next trip.        

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 May 2022 - 04:37 PM

Glad I have the old fashioned kind. One time in a galaxy far far away my Mom drove us in the VW microbus to the coast. I believe it was on twisty old highway 36 where we got a flat. No key for the spare. Lucky for us someone came by with a pair of vice grips and was able to rip it off. 

Get yourself a good 4-way lug wrench. I'd hate to change a tire with the little wrench that comes from the factory.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:35 PM

I carry both the 4 cross lug wrench and a 13/16" deep socket with a breaker bar.

Tire shop people don't always torque the lugs down to the "book" pounds.

It's too easy to just use the air drive and tighten them down so much you can't

break them loose.

All good advise.Nice to know before you go info.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 May 2022 - 10:12 PM

America's Tire uses color coded torque sticks. Never had an issue with them. I've over torqued them using my brothers rattle gun. I didn't realize it had that much torque.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 May 2022 - 01:35 AM

My tire guy uses those color coded extensions, and I believe them to be pretty accurate.

Still, when I get home I break them loose one at a time with whatever it takes and then re-tighten them with the tool that I carry in that vehicle. I want to know that the tool that I carry will break them loose. While they're loose I look at if there is enough anti-seize still in the threads.

I too have encountered the SS sleeves being distorted enough that the socket won't fit. This is a great use for HF impact sockets. I find the next larger socket, be it metric or SAE, and if required hammer it on, and then hammer the nut out while held in a vise. I don't mind being brutal to cheap sockets.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:44 AM

I had not heard of torque sticks before so I looked them up.  A set is about $60 at HD.

I noted the following:

"It's important to note that while torque sticks can be a time-saver, they are not exact by nature. Most experts recommend using a torque stick to get to about 70% of the way there, then switching to a manual method to finish. The final torque specified value is best reached by using a calibrated torque wrench."

https://www.tirebusi...d-service-times

I have always used, and will continue to use a torque wrench.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#8 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:24 PM

My lugs were too tight.  My only tool options were an L shaped tacoma tire wrench, or my also basically L shaped socket wrench.  I had to stand on it, because I could not budge them.   And, rather than loosen, that very off center torque simply twisted my lugs off.   Very lucky I was in a town when it happened, and not 100 miles down a trail. 

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 July 2022 - 08:30 PM

Glad I re-found this thread as I had just redone my brakes and the mechanic suggested all new lugs as I have the 2 piece lugs and about half are separating or cracking. I'd like to get capped solid if they make them for my truck Colorado 2016. The company above does not make them for Colorados.

Edited by buckland, 13 July 2022 - 08:31 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 July 2022 - 08:53 PM

I've purchased from these folks a couple times and always felt like I got what I asked for:

https://lugnutguys.com/

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users