• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 August 2022 - 07:00 PM

Thanks on that. I first used the "torque stick" 140 with the air gun. then went back to check with the torque wrench. Wonder how else to check the torque wrench?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#22 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 02 August 2022 - 07:09 PM

Send it out for calibration. Simple to say (type), maybe not so simple to execute on. I know that Snap-On dealers can have their torque wrenches re-calibrated, I just don't know if they can do any other brands. They don't do it on their trucks, they send them somewhere. I would expect most metropolis' to have instrument calibration firms, one of them can likely do the work.

I reluctantly bought a clicked not long ago. I couldn't see the beam scale in that particular application, but beam types are my preference because you can see when they're out of calibration since the needle tells you so, and you can just bend the needle to "re-calibrate" one of them.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#23 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 02 August 2022 - 07:10 PM

A  note of concern that may be misplaced, but if your torque wrench is a "clicker" type and it has been left at some setting other than zero it probably isn't accurate any more. Clickers are notorious for going out of calibration if left on anything other than zero, and sometimes even then.

+1. If I remember I always back them off.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#24 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:03 PM

Send it out for calibration. Simple to say (type), maybe not so simple to execute on. I know that Snap-On dealers can have their torque wrenches re-calibrated, I just don't know if they can do any other brands. They don't do it on their trucks, they send them somewhere. I would expect most metropolis' to have instrument calibration firms, one of them can likely do the work.

I reluctantly bought a clicked not long ago. I couldn't see the beam scale in that particular application, but beam types are my preference because you can see when they're out of calibration since the needle tells you so, and you can just bend the needle to "re-calibrate" one of them.

I like the "beam" type also. Just bend the beam to re-calibrate.

Old school works for me. I've had the same torque "beam" wrench for

over 50 years still works great.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#25 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:35 PM

I haver a beam type 3/8" for the motorcycle but the tractor and truck I have the click type. I am thinking I might invest in a new torque as mine are at least 40 years olds. I'm getting to be an ole codger when I look at my tool box. I still have a few tools of my father's. They give back good memories though aren't that useful... one vivid memory when I was around six... I heard hammering in the basement, so I skulked down the stairs to see what was going on... my dad was reading a book but had a hammer in his other hand... every now an then he'd do a few random hammerings to sound like he was working... he was (as the Irish say) "skiving" looking like you are working when you are not. He  saw me peering from the top few stairs and stopped... he looked straight at me and said... "man secret" ... and I knew ... I was just accepted in a new club. Sworn to secrecy and I have to this day not told my mother who is 96. ( he was hiding)

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#26 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 03 August 2022 - 02:09 AM

Buckland awesome memory!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic