2 replies to this topic

#1 randogg

randogg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTEMPE, AZ. GO DEVILS!

Posted 23 May 2022 - 01:17 PM

I recently fried a Zamp Solar Controller (ZS-30A) and battery fuse (30 AMP) on my 2017 FWC Raven. Being overcome with stupidity at the moment (regularly), I plugged a Renergy 175W flexible solar panel straight into my factory installed rear solar port without a reverse polarity adapter, not knowing Zamp solar is not the same as everything else.

I have scoured the internet and threads here for the simple answer, and I may have read it and it went right over my head. I am very much a novice in electricity and learning as I go. In my mind, I was very fortunate to not have caused more damage to my baby in my mind.

Questions is- Are Zamp products wired in reverse polarity? If so, then I would need a reverse polarity adapter on any other brand of portable solar panel I use, correct? Unless of course other brands wire this way as well, but they do not seem to disclose it clearly if they do.

Side note- My camper already has the factory installed ZAMP 160W rooftop panel. I replaced the fuse and controller already without issue. Am also currently changing out my 5.5 y/o factory AGMs from group 27 to 31 for more AMP hours (158ah-230ah).

Any and all help is very much appreciated! Be well yal!

#2 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:15 PM

My understanding is that the Zamp panels and controllers are indeed wired with the opposite polarity compared to many other panels (and you aren't the first person to have this experience).

The only way to be certain whether you need an adapter is to check the polarity of a new panel with a voltage/multimeter before plugging it in.  If you don't already own a multimeter, you should get one for general troubleshooting of the electrical systems.

-Scott

Edited by heinphoto, 23 May 2022 - 08:16 PM.

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#3 randogg

randogg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTEMPE, AZ. GO DEVILS!

Posted 24 May 2022 - 03:29 PM

Bought one at Ace this morning. Thanks for the help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ZAMP, polarity, revered, portable solar panels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users