#1 HappyCampers

HappyCampers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSkagit Valley, Washington

Posted 25 May 2022 - 03:35 AM

Our postponed Eastern Oregon trip is kicking off at the end of this week. I have managed to negotiate a 'loose' itenerary with wifey - who generally prefers to have things 100% nailed down. I thought I'd reach out to you all for favorites or 'must do' hikes, vistas, food, etc... given our proposed destinations.

Since it's Memorial Day weekend, and camp sites will be busy, we're kicking things off with a stay with family in Wallowa. Next it's on to Owyhee Canyon and Succor Creek. Steens Mountains/Malheur and Hart Mountain are the final proposed stop(s) before we turn north again with a likely short family visit in the Bend.

I've been to all of these places previously, but am not convinced I have hit the primo destinations. If you have any place special you're willimg to share with us, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by HappyCampers, 25 May 2022 - 03:36 AM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 May 2022 - 05:03 AM

Chris, I like to stop at the BLM Virgin Valley CG west of Denio on HWY 140.   It has a shower house and a swimming pool to wash the dust off after a desert trip.  There is also a historic ranch/stage stop nearby.  Hot and dusty, but still a gem.  On the topic of gems, there are nearby opal mines.

14094106377_b878b89dbe_b.jpg

36302740745_fe6f51c5c1_b.jpg

Are you going to visit Leslie Gulch,  too?

On my list of places to visit are the Birch Creek Ranch, and the Shirk Ranch.

At Hart Mt, if the road to Blue Sky is open, that’s interesting.  A pocket of ponderosa near the headwaters of Guano Crk.  The graves at Camp Warner need a visit as well.

35484458054_ec0105288f_b.jpg

I am haunted by waters

#3 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 25 May 2022 - 01:41 PM

Here are a few places I like:

Crack in the Ground.  Nothing with a wow factor, but different.

Summer Lake:  You can spend the night or spend an hour driving through the refuge viewing the birds.  

Kenny Camp:  The road/walk to Kenny Camp is a bit west of the Hwy 140 turn off to Virgin Valley.  The road is gated. Walk the road. It is about a 1/2-mile walk.  

Riddle Brother's Ranch.  On the south end of the Steen's loop.  The gate may be closed but you can walk in.

Thousand Creek Gorge:  By Virgin Valley campground.  You can walk in the canyon or drive to the overlook and look down.

Leslie Gulch:  I second that suggestion.

Edited by searching for nowhere, 25 May 2022 - 01:48 PM.

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#4 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 May 2022 - 02:48 PM

Many good spots have been mentioned. We liked Summer lake on our last return from Death Valley. You can 'boondock/dry camp' at the south end of the lake, north of Paisley, at Summer Lake hot springs. Great soaking pools at a nice clean place with an old hippie vibe. And if you have not seen Paulina Lake from the viewpoint on top, which you can drive to, you are in for a treat. Check out Big Obsidian Flow while you are at it.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 07:39 PM

The second photo in my post is of Kinney Camp, and yes, do walk up to Thousand Springs. 

Don’t forget your birdoculars, or as Mrs 3Pin calls them, the seemores.

I am haunted by waters

#6 HappyCampers

HappyCampers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSkagit Valley, Washington

Posted 25 May 2022 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. Familiar with some of these spots and will definitely add a few of these to the list of possibilities.

Access into the upper Steens was limited by snow when I was there a couple years ago. It was about the same time of year, so hopefully better this time around, but not counting on it.

I had the impression that the Summer Lake got pretty torched by wildfire. Maybe not too bad?

We were considering visiting Crane hot springs, but perhaps Summer Lake is a better fit

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 May 2022 - 08:10 PM

We were in Summer Lake area 2 months ago, including the northern wildlife area. No sign of wildfire effects. 

Have a grand trip! 

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 08:46 PM

Crystal Crane hot springs doesn't have the old hippie vibe, but it’s clean, kept family friendly, and you can swim/soak under the stars.

I am haunted by waters

#9 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 02:17 PM

Certainly drive the Steens Loop if you haven’t planned that. If it’s dry you can camp right on the Alvord playa. There’s a hot springs there, although if you’re not that into them, I’d defer for the one in Heart. Be mindful of fuel. French Glen isn’t open on Sunday. I doubt Fields Station is either. Bring your binocs. In addition to birds, there’s feral/wild mustangs and big horn sheep at The Steens and pronghorn at Heart. Have fun! 

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 26 May 2022 - 03:24 PM

Crystal Crane hot springs doesn't have the old hippie vibe, but it’s clean, kept family friendly, and you can swim/soak under the stars.

Can you park in the tent or overflow sites instead of the RV full-hookup sites?   We like a little more room when we camp.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users