8 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 May 2022 - 11:59 PM

Last year I bought a new Apple iMac to replace my 11 year old desktop.   When I tried to download photos, the new iMac would not recognize both my card reader and the cameras.  It sill worked fine on the older computer, so I thought my camera firmware was too old for the new version of IOS.  

Today, got over the procrastination, and updated both of the bodies I use.  Neither could be seen by my iMac.  After a couple of calls to Apple (the first was a dropped connection), I learned that my version of IOS only works through an application called Image Capture.  I can now load images directly from the cameras, but not from the card readers.  I suspect a new, compatible card reader may solve that.

I am haunted by waters

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:23 AM

Steve,

Good luck with your new Apple. I hope you get it debugged soon.

One of the things I have come to dread the most is upgrading my home computer. I did so last fall, by buying a new HP with all the bells and whistles. Long story short -- I ended up sending it back after a few days. So I then found Puget Systems, who custom built my new desktop, for significantly more money, but it works flawlessly. Particularly fast with photo processing. I am very happy with it. But moving all the files and programs was still a major PITA. It is all working right finally, but I kind of hope I never need to do this again. As unlikely as that is.

I also bought a UPS, which has already helped twice when those brief power outages crop up.

Tony

Edited by AWG_Pics, 28 May 2022 - 12:26 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:33 AM

Have you looked here, Steve? https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1017

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:54 AM

Thanks, Tony!

So far that has been the only hiccup, and it was only an irritant.  I hope I can find a card reader that the computer recognizes.  If not, I’ve got several work arounds.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 28 May 2022 - 04:11 AM

That's disappointing.  Maybe check with http://lightroomqueen.com

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 May 2022 - 06:10 PM

Steve not by and means a expert on this,but do you have a Nikon?

On my Nikon A1000 I use the app Snapbridge to connect the camera to my phone.

From the phone it goes to the cloud then the I-mac.

Don't know if that app will work connecting to a desktop.I also have Apple products.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 December 2022 - 06:45 PM

Just seeing this Steve and not sure if you resolved it. I have a new MacBook Pro and the C USB card reader does fine. There are time when a 3rd party device needs to be allowed for it to be seen, also the card needs to be formatted for Mac.

Edited by buckland, 15 December 2022 - 06:46 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 06:59 PM

Rob, it’s partially resolved, and I suspect I know the other part.  Unbeknownst to me, Apple added a photo downloader to the new iMacs (my old machine was a 2009).  It appears to be the only application that allows image transfer to the computer.  By hooking directly to the cameras,I can upload to a directory, then import into LR from there. Previously, I could load using LR.  

My guess is the image capture app is looking for a USB compatible card reader, which I haven’t yet purchased.

I am haunted by waters

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:24 PM

Gotcha. I have a few wildlife trail cameras that use cards and I use either a reader for the iPad or the image below is one of the C USB readers.

My Mac imports to the Download folder and I select and drag to the photos app or wherever I want then delete from the Download folder to keep it clean.

My Canon has a card and supposedly modern wifi/bluetooth arrangement that is so archaic it isn't worth all the steps (requiring a Canon app then transfer to Mac... not good)

Attached Files

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users