carrying full size spare

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 penner

penner

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 08:01 PM

Thinking of carrying a full size E rated spare on our up-coming Alaska , Dempster trip from Ontario , rather than just the factory spare. I will be removing the back seat of our Chevy crew cab and thinking I should just carry it there. Probably wouldn't fit underneath anyway. Anyone carry theirs in the back seat? Or any other thoughts? On our Nfld/ Labrador trip I never had anything but the factory spare , but thinking it might not hurt this time. Thanks. 

#2 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 29 May 2022 - 08:24 PM

I suggest taking the full size spare.  I don't have a recommendation on where to carry it.

We have done two Alaska trips.  On the trip this past summer we drove to McCarthy.  That road is notorious for causing punctures and flats.  We saw a couple of cars without occupants and signs in the window saying tire service called with a date that was several days old.

We were lucky and had no tire issues on either trip.  That written, prior to both trips I put 4 new tires on about a month prior to ensure any infant mortality issues would be experienced before departure (there were years and plenty of tire tread wear miles between the two trips).

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 May 2022 - 09:36 PM

Penner IMO it's always a good plan to have a full size spare along.

My spear fits under the truck bed no problems getting to it.

I also carry things like 4x4 wood blocks for spacers between jack and axle

and a piece of 2x8 to sit the floor jack on.

Like the old Boy Scout motto"be prepared".

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 30 May 2022 - 12:40 AM

Frank

How long is the spear you carry?  Do you hunt with it?  or is just for self defense?      :lol: 

Couldn't resist.  ;-)

I think you have a typo  spear ==> spare

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 30 May 2022 - 12:41 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2022 - 12:51 AM

If carrying a full size spear, be sure to also carry an appropriate atlatl for best results.

I greatly dislike automatic spelling correctors as the idiot programmer has no way of knowing what I meant. Apple corrected my use of atlatl several times.

Paul

ps. I'm a retired idiot programmer. 

I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 30 May 2022 - 01:13 AM

By all means I would carry a full-sized spare (well-lashed down)—along with a high-quality plug kit and a high-quality compressor. The Dempster is better known for general tire shredding than simple punctures, but you should be prepared.

#7 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 30 May 2022 - 02:11 PM

In terms of carrying the spare inside the cab (check your factory location first, you might be surprised) they make bags for that. I find that the odor from tire rubber, particularly when new, can be overpowering in small spaces. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 May 2022 - 02:36 PM

I hadn’t thought about carrying my second spare in the cab, but I do see a concern.  If it’s not well secured, the spare could be dangerous in an accident.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 May 2022 - 02:42 PM

By all means I would carry a full-sized spare (well-lashed down)—along with a high-quality plug kit and a high-quality compressor. The Dempster is better known for general tire shredding than simple punctures, but you should be prepared.

Jon, any recommendations for the plug kit?  I bought one at a local tire shop, but have no idea what constitutes quality.  The implements look robust, there is plug/patch material and cement, but I’ve never had to use one.  Thoughts?

I am haunted by waters

#10 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 30 May 2022 - 03:56 PM

I always carry two full size spares. Had a trip ruined once, only carrying one spare. No proper air compressor, no patch/plug kit etc.

Fast forward to my 2019 trip on the dempster and to dead horse. Brand new, f rated tire speared by a four inch rock. Will try to find the phone that has the photo. Most likely would not have finished the trip to TUK had i not had two spares.

You may have to try letting the air out of the spare underneath, as for the second spare i was using a hitchco tire carrier to carry the second spare and two cans of fuel.

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users