#11 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 May 2022 - 06:20 PM

Frank

How long is the spear you carry?  Do you hunt with it?  or is just for self defense?      :lol: 

Couldn't resist.  ;-)

I think you have a typo  spear ==> spare

Regards,

Craig

Thanks Craig. I also carry a spear,use it as a walking stick while fishing.

Dang letter keys just type the wrong stuff.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 May 2022 - 09:58 PM

I carry the Safety Seal kit in my Jeep. I really should have one in the truck. I have a second spare I purchased just for trips like the Dempster. I have yet to carry it but I will when I go to Alaska.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:19 PM

I too sold the spare that came with my truck and bought a new rim and E rated tire for the spare... just makes sense especially in AK but also anywhere. A patch kit and quality compressor a must. ( remember the black flies will be out there helping you so the faster it takes the better)

Edited by buckland, 30 May 2022 - 10:20 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#14 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. After measuring , it looks like I can put a matching size spare underneath. 

#15 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 May 2022 - 11:21 PM

I will say that was a concern for me ....but it fit ... and I felt a lot better ...some roads are nasty

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#16 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 May 2022 - 11:27 PM

I just don't know how the auto industry gets away with those "space saver spares".

Every time I see a car driving with one I just cringe.

And on a truck it's even worse IMO.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#17 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 31 May 2022 - 12:56 AM

Jon, any recommendations for the plug kit?  I bought one at a local tire shop, but have no idea what constitutes quality.  The implements look robust, there is plug/patch material and cement, but I’ve never had to use one.  Thoughts?

Yes: Either the ARB kit or the Extreme Outback ultimate Puncture Repair Kit. Whatever you do, stay away from plug kits with plastic-handled insertion tools. Also, I recommend going on Amazon and looking for Safety Seal extra thin plugs to augment whatever kit you buy. The plugs that come with the ARB kit, especially, are too thick for many nail or screw holes.

More information and instructions here.

Jonathan

Edited by JHanson, 31 May 2022 - 03:42 AM.

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 May 2022 - 01:53 AM

Interesting. I didn't know they had extra thin plugs. Just ordered some.

#19 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 31 May 2022 - 10:10 PM

I carried two full sized 10 ply spares and a repair kit in my BLM rig (1980 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagon, 1990 3/4 ton Chev) at all times!  I still remember the time I was working out in Dry Valley, Nevada (near the Smoke Desert and Pryramid Lake) with a civilian contractor (Who had flown into Reno, rented  some type of all wheel small rig that he drove out to the project). After working all day, we walked back to the rigs and of course he had a flat and when we open up the trunk we were greeted by something that looked like it belonged on a wheel barrow not as a spare tire.  It was the first time I had ever seen one of these things, but you use what you have. 

We were out in the high desert country where you needed a high ax. 4x4 with heavy duty tires to safely get around.  These things had a 50 mile range and we were about 20 miles from a typical Nevada gravel  road and the nearest town with a  paved road (Surcliff at Pryramid Lake) was about another 30 or so miles away.  Well off we went, with me following  as he drove very very slowly.   I guess the Gods were with us  and we made it. I think we both learned to check your spare before you rented any rig you planned to take into the back county country.  It could have been allot worse especially if he had been  alone!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 31 May 2022 - 10:11 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 May 2022 - 10:19 PM

Sometimes a plug kit isn't enough. I've ripped the sidewall out once and shredded a tire once. Without a spare my trip is over.

KIMG0547-L.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users