30 replies to this topic

#21 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 June 2022 - 12:41 PM

As Craig said earlier in this thread newer tires along with a similar full size spare is very important IMHO.

We carried 2 spares on our expeditions in Africa and the Middle East on our 79 Series LC’s. In all 3 expeditions I blew out one tire as did several other members of the team.

I also carried 2 spares on our trip to Alaska but never had any issues as those tires only had about 1000 miles on them when we left. Going forward we’ll only be carrying one full size spare. Also carrying a good repair kit and compressor should take care of anything you’re likely to encounter.

Edited by smlobx, 07 June 2022 - 12:42 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#22 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 07 June 2022 - 04:16 PM

I seem to recall somebody saying "one is none and two is one." Depending on your confidence level in the tires you've chosen this might be good advice even in backcountry DVNP.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#23 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 June 2022 - 05:39 PM

The only thing I hate is, once I'm running my spare I consider my trip over until I get another. An advantage to a second spare. But of course its bulky and heavy. No perfect solution.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#24 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 June 2022 - 02:32 AM

There's an intermediate solution, but it requires knowledge, skills and the tools to make it happen. That is an inner tube. With the avatar dune buggy a spare really isn't an option, so we all carried the tools and a tube. I mounted one new set of rear tires with those tools just so that I had some practical under my belt. We used motorcycle tires irons and they worked surprisingly well on a 31-10.50R15 tire. I won't kid you, it's work, but it beats walking.

This is the tool that I built to break the beads:

i-rspgMDJ-L.jpg

i-3FJBKTD-L.jpg

A short piece of chain fits in that slot. The other end of the chain is put over a wheel stud and the lug nut is run down backwards after the chain. On mine, that angled round tube is a socket for the Snap-on 24" breaker bar that I carried for other needs on the buggy. MISF built his similar tool to use the handle from his Hi-Lift jack.

Three tips-

1) Replace the tube annually or just before a big trip.

2) Store the tube in an anti-ESD bag and use a "Seal-A-Meal" type device to evacuate and seal the bag. You don't care about the ESD properties per se, but the reflectorized mylar keeps the suns rays off the rubber and by evacuating and sealing the bag you reduce any effects of ozone.

3) A ratchet strap that reaches all of the way around the tread of the tire in the center can be used to push the beads out by tightening the strap. Can be a HUGE bonus in trying to get the beads to seat.

An a suggestion: Sometimes it's not the tire, but the valve stem that got torn or ripped off or what have you. Carry a couple spares of those and a tool to install them.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#25 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 08 June 2022 - 04:11 AM

The only thing I hate is, once I'm running my spare I consider my trip over until I get another. An advantage to a second spare. But of course its bulky and heavy. No perfect solution.

We've had to use our spare in DVNP after being snake bit which made a run back to Bishop mandatory.  We were just able to buy a used tire on Christmas Eve before the tire shop closed (intersection of Hwy 6 / Hwy 395).

Otherwise, we couldn't have finished our trip without a spare.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#26 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 June 2022 - 04:25 AM

I carry a tube. I have a vague idea of how to install it. Its one of those things I'll have to be fairly desperate to use but if I have to MacGyver my way out...

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#27 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 10:22 AM

Ordered a matching size 10ply tire and rim , installing air bags  and will be mounting the ATC on the truck in a few weeks. Hitting the road mid July . Man, this summer is going to fly by. Thanks again for the replies. 

#28 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 June 2022 - 01:14 PM

If you've had the tube for more than a year the odds are pretty good that it has split in one or more folds. The ESD bags will help them live longer in storage, but they still have a limited shelf life.

I recall one sidewall tear in the buggy group, the most extreme one that I can recall that we put a tube in, but first we had to "sew" the sidewall back together. We used the Ø.032" SST safety wire that I habitually carry for the "thread" and used a couple of "boots" over the sewing on the inside to keep it from wearing a hole in the tube.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#29 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 June 2022 - 02:35 PM

This is the tool that I built to break the beads:

I just use the OEM jack to break the tire bead.

If you've had the tube for more than a year the odds are pretty good that it has split in one or more folds. 

Last year I used a rubber (not butyl or latex) bicycle tire tube that I had sitting in the garage in its original cardboard box for ~20 years.  No problems yet.

I doubt parts stores cull their stock that often.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#30 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 June 2022 - 03:19 PM

Buggy doesn't weigh enough to break the bead. Using a Hi-Lift to do this can be done, but it is clumsy and risky to both the operator and the vehicle. What is the vehicle supported by if you're using the jack to break the bead of a tire laying on the ground?

Tubes carried in the buggies prior to going to the ESD bags rarely lasted more than a year.

I used to keep bicycle tubes in the freezer. They lasted 4x-6x times longer in storage when I did that vs. just on a shelf.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users