22 replies to this topic

#21 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 04 June 2022 - 09:25 PM

Foy, several years back Julie and I drove across 8A and never gave the Stolpas a thought. Perhaps, someday, I should tell the story of a somewhat - much more funny - similar incident were involved in here during a major Sierra storm. Darwin sure has a lot of near misses.

Yes, we know all the words to the "Gilligan's Island" theme song. We sang it a lot at times.

Well, that sounds like a fine, fine story to anticipate.  If I ever get out that way, I'm pretty much going to have to find the Stolpa site myself.  Shouldn't be too difficult--it's plotted on the dang Benchmark! Feel the same about the Chretien "stuck van" site near Rowland, NV.  Morbid curiosity?  Probably.  But when we visit sites where tragedy has occurred, we're always respectful.

Foy

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 June 2022 - 09:48 PM

Well, that sounds like a fine, fine story to anticipate.  If I ever get out that way, I'm pretty much going to have to find the Stolpa site myself.  Shouldn't be too difficult--it's plotted on the dang Benchmark! Feel the same about the Chretien "stuck van" site near Rowland, NV.  Morbid curiosity?  Probably.  But when we visit sites where tragedy has occurred, we're always respectful.

Foy

Boy, I had forgotten about the benchmark plotting the site. I took that to Google Earth - guessimate wise - and it doesn't quite match these photos -

Getty Collection Jim Stolpa Photos

story to follow.........someday. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 05 June 2022 - 12:05 AM

excellent report. thx again for your efforts

Oregon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users