13 replies to this topic

#1 Lotsapapa

Lotsapapa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNathrop,Co

Posted 01 June 2022 - 04:02 PM

1st ever post here and some advice would be appreciated.

I’ve decided on a FWC Hawk for my truck, now I just need to find it (wish me luck I’m always a day late). I am prepping my truck so when I find a used FWC I can just go get it and camp my way back to Colorado.

I have a 2017 F 150 4x4 super cab with heavy duty tow and trailer package. It’s a 3.5 eco boost with aftermarket skid plates, a 2.5” King coil over lift, I have the wiring installed in bed, 10 ply tires and front eye bolts installed from Mule Outfitters.

My questions to WTW community is what kind of rear suspension would you used to help with ride height and quality. (Specific to my F150)
Air bags or leaf springs or a combo. This will go off road to get away from crowds.

Back up camera to replace tailgate camera. What are you using?

Rear bumper to carry oversized spare tire. What do you like and why?

Thanks for any advice
Lotsapapa

#2 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 01 June 2022 - 06:09 PM

https://camerasource.../?q= Ford F-150

I have a 2016 F150 superb, 8 foot bed that carries our Grandby Shell + some extras, 1250 lbs.. 

Our truck is Heavy Duty Payload Package with 2611 payload capability.   Technically speaking I didn't need any upgrades, but I chose Air bags (2000 lb rated) to help with the side to side roll.. easy install.. I uses separate lines as my drivers side of truck (gas tank) and Camper (kitchen, furnace) make that side heavier.. 

I mounted camera above the rear door of the camera to get a birds eye view as we often travel with bikes as well.. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#3 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 01 June 2022 - 11:28 PM

Congratulations on your new camper!

If you plan to remove the camper between trips, air bags are the only proper way to maintain a decent ride and handling both loaded and unloaded. It it's going to stay on, a spring upgrade is better as it will maintain full compliance. One good approach is to spec springs that level the truck with an empty camper installed, and use air bags to fine-tune the stance as you load water, food, etc.

Some will disagree, but I'm not a fan of Timbrens and similar devices, which also inhibit compliance.

#4 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 03 June 2022 - 03:27 PM

I first had my Hawk on a F150 4x4 SC, I installed air bags only to level truck and help with sway. Had camper on truck full time with no problems. Camper now on Ford F250 Super Duty.

#5 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 June 2022 - 12:30 PM

I’ll agree with Jonathan. We use airbags on both our overland vehicles as we also use them for other things unloaded.

Will your oversized tire fit where the regular spare goes? That would my first choice. I have taken 2 spares on some expeditions in Africa but those were extremely remote and probably not necessary in North America.

PS. Welcome to WTW!

PSS. Do you have a rear sway bar? We upgraded both rigs to the Hellwig Big Wig bars and are happy with the results.

Edited by smlobx, 07 June 2022 - 12:31 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#6 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 25 July 2022 - 08:15 AM

Something to keep in mind when using an airbag with lift off road.  Ensure your airbag can extend to match your suspension max travel.  Some add an extension limit strap.  I have been happy with Timbrens.  They only engage when there is significant suspension compression, no max extension limits, work well to limit side to side sway, have not needed a sway bar.  I am now on my 3rd FWC, 2nd Hawk on this F150.

- Mike

K7MDL

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#7 Sagebrusher

Sagebrusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSagebrush country, USA

Posted 25 July 2022 - 04:04 PM

I removed the camera from the tailgate handle area on my 2018 F-150, protected it with foam and tape attached to a metal angle bracket and mounted it under the rear camper door. Finding a YouTube video on removing/replacing the camera for my era F-150 helped. It just plugs into the same wiring plug as before.  

On airbags/springs, I am probably clueless and missing something (please clue me in!) but my camper is below payload capacity and the truck bed side rail is still 1" higher in the rear than in the front without bags or added springs. We creep slowly on rough 2-tracks, but  seems to ride fine, 3 years in.  

2019 Four Wheel Camper Hawk Shell mod on 2018 F150

https://sites.google...gebrushers/home

https://www.youtube....8qMF7m_uaV0F-Dg

#8 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:50 PM

This seems to be another one of those instances in which someone comes on board and asks a question, receives several helpful answers, and then never responds.

#9 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:55 PM

I removed the camera from the tailgate handle area on my 2018 F-150, protected it with foam and tape attached to a metal angle bracket and mounted it under the rear camper door. Finding a YouTube video on removing/replacing the camera for my era F-150 helped. It just plugs into the same wiring plug as before.  

On airbags/springs, I am probably clueless and missing something (please clue me in!) but my camper is below payload capacity and the truck bed side rail is still 1" higher in the rear than in the front without bags or added springs. We creep slowly on rough 2-tracks, but  seems to ride fine, 3 years in.  

Sagebrusher, if what you have is working, don't fret about it! On most trucks, "payload capacity" does not necessarily equate to "you can carry this much weight in it permanently and it will still sit, handle, and stop properly." It has more to do with picking up the occasional load of bricks from Home Depot.

#10 Lotsapapa

Lotsapapa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNathrop,Co

Posted 03 September 2022 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
It has been a very busy summer and I still have not found my camper yet. I am looking for a hawk 2017 or newer shell that’s not too expensive or sold by the time I see it.
No my spare will not fit under the truck. The rims and tires are too large even if I removed heat shield next to tail pipe. I think I will be looking at a Wilco hitch tire carrier. Suggestions please.
No rear anti sway bar on my truck but I have hear lots of good things about Hellwig suspension. If I can keep camper light the suspension upgrades will be minimal.
I looked at the camera in the tailgate and that will stay put I will just get an after market and put it on plate/ bumper.

We are off to the Westcliffe area this weekend in a tent, but a least it’s camping and not work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users