77 replies to this topic

#21 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:24 PM

I really, really want the wind to stop.... 

This has certainly been a windy spring.  ...

I'm not a big fan of wind either. Maybe if I was a sailor I'd enjoy it...but I'm not, so I don't.

But speaking of water craft: There were quite a few days this past winter (and late-fall, early-spring) on my kamp 'n' kayak tour through The South that I kept my boat off the water due to wind-driven chop and waves. Annoying. 

I'm thinking...if they erected arrays of wind turbines around popular bodies of water -- and around towns where wind isn't fun -- we could dampen the wind speed to more enjoyable levels.  

As soon as COVID and inflation are conquered they should get to work on that.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#22 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:29 PM

This has certainly been a windy spring.  It was windy down in Utah when we were there, and it is windy up here at home too.  Unusual in my experience.  And I'm with you, I can't sleep when it is this windy.  Makes me wish I had a windmill though to generate power!

Vic - about 1/3 of my town was burned in a fire on November 17, 2020 when a power line snapped  300 yards north of my house with a wind blowing 80 - 125 mph from the southwest. One person died. We still think about what that number would have been if the fire started in the middle of the night instead of the middle of the day. I don't think I am the only sleepless soul in this valley on a windy night. 

#23 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:35 PM

I'm not a big fan of wind either. Maybe if I was a sailor I'd enjoy it...but I'm not, so I don't.

But speaking of water craft: There were quite a few days this past winter (and late-fall, early-spring) on my kamp 'n' kayak tour through The South that I kept my boat off the water due to wind-driven chop and waves. Annoying. 

I'm thinking...if they erected arrays of wind turbines around popular bodies of water -- and around towns where wind isn't fun -- we could dampen the wind speed to more enjoyable levels.  

Great idea as soon as you get by the  "NIMBY" crowd.

Frank 

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#24 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:42 PM

I am a sailor - or at least I was (my dad was the boat owner - San Francisco Bay, no slouch on winds)) The wind on the lee side of the Sierra is far too erratic for sailing. 

And wind turbines kill birds. And bats. 

#25 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:57 PM

Great idea as soon as you get by the  "NIMBY" crowd.

Frank 

If you private message me your mailing address I'll send you a copy of the book Bright Green Lies. I've been called much worse names than NIMBY but my personal feelings are insignificant when set up alongside the damage being done by "alternative" energy and the amazing ability the human brain has to deny reality. 

#26 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:59 PM

It's raining here in Bend and about 50°F. Summer...summer?  

But really, I don't mind rain and cool in June at all. Even if it just delays the local fire season, it's a good thing.

#27 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 June 2022 - 08:48 PM

Currently 72 degrees and windy. Monday we're supposed to be over 100 again. I can't recall it ever bouncing around this much. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#28 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 June 2022 - 12:50 AM

If you private message me your mailing address I'll send you a copy of the book Bright Green Lies. I've been called much worse names than NIMBY but my personal feelings are insignificant when set up alongside the damage being done by "alternative" energy and the amazing ability the human brain has to deny reality. 

Also take a look at this review - Bright Green Lies & Deep Green Deceptions - MAHB (stanford.edu)  What I most often see when people latch onto Bright Green Lies (BGL) is the mistaken belief that renewable energy is a good idea, and that what we should do instead is continue using non-renewables.  The message of BGL and other "Deep Greens" is that industrialism - whether traditional or "renewable" - is not sustainable, period.  

#29 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 June 2022 - 08:19 PM

Here it is, afternoon in mid-June, and my furnace is running. :o
IMG_20220618_131418.jpg
No, still not complaining.
I guess with above-average heat in a lot of the country, the cold has to go somewhere...
;)

#30 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 June 2022 - 12:12 AM

Crazy weather,but what climate change!

Here at the coast we have had a lot of wind and little fog.

Nice mild temps though.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users