33 replies to this topic

#11 Cbessler

Cbessler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 04:09 AM

Sounds good thanks for the info guys. Looking at adding a prinsu rack with the wind fairing. Then trying to remove part of the mats to get closer to the bed rails and lower the overall height some. Hopefully help with the streamlining of the vehicle. Otherwise I'm a huge sail haha

#12 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 June 2022 - 02:48 PM

Like said....33" wheels on your combo are counter productive...not just in height, CG and wind, but those 33" wheels and tires weigh a ton and they are un-sprung weight which takes more to move down the road....style vs function.

Edited by Wallowa, 10 June 2022 - 11:29 PM.

#13 Cbessler

Cbessler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 03:17 PM

Sure definitely. Been reading a lot on regearing with my setup. Feel that would help immensely in between climbs/wind issues etc

#14 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 10 June 2022 - 03:42 PM

PMd you.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#15 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 10 June 2022 - 09:08 PM

Sure definitely. Been reading a lot on regearing with my setup. Feel that would help immensely in between climbs/wind issues etc

As has been mentioned a couple times now, what would really help is going down a size in tires. It's not just a gearing issue. Larger, heavier tires/wheels take more power to accelerate and more power to stop. They're harder on steering and suspension components. And every centimeter you raise the truck/camper combination works against you aerodynamically. Regearing is going to cost you something in the thousands of dollars, and as I mentioned you'll wind up with weaker pinion gears. 

#16 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 01:42 AM

I've got a 2012 Tacoma w/ flatbed fleet.
I've re-geared to 4.56.  I've got plenty of power.  Low MPG, but plenty of power.  Easily go 80mph on flats.  Can maintain 70 on most inclines.  But I get 12 MPG at best...  Usually right around 10.  (But also have a heavy, high flatbed and other contributing factors)

Edited by wicked1, 11 June 2022 - 01:53 AM.

#17 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 June 2022 - 03:32 PM

The only cost effective way to improve mileage is to drive more conservatively. You will never recoup the cost of "add ons" in mpg savings, especially as you contemplate changes that will have a negative impact on mileage. If you want better mileage watch your driving habits. More than a decade ago I contemplated all the possible ways - streamlining, deflectors, etc - to get better mileage that continue to come up for discussion. All turned out to be exercises in spending money. Learn how to drive your vehicle to get the best mileage. It costs nothing and is the only solution that works.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#18 bajaphile

bajaphile

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNCSD CA

Posted 13 June 2022 - 04:41 PM

My friend has a 2017 Tacoma with a Prinsu and it added a considerable amount of wind noise which I was surprised to hear given the shape. I'd imagine it also creates drag. I'd look into a wind fairing for your setup as mentioned before.

And what it is worth, I have regeared my 97 Land Cruiser from 4.10's to to 4.88's and it was barely noticeable (in my opinion), running 35 inch tires. Sure there is a bit more grunt overall to match the tire diameter to engine power band and transmission shifts, but wasn't anything like night and day. My Ford on the other hand had 3.73's and 35's which I regeared recently to 4.88s and I did notice a change going up the mountain passes for sure. Obviously when you regear though your MPG does drop a bit for highway driving. 

I was a Toyota pickup and 4Runner guy my entire life and they worked epic for simple lightweight camping (which I miss to this day), but after putting a Callen on a Tacoma and loading it with camp gear I was less than impressed with the power.

Edited by bajaphile, 13 June 2022 - 04:43 PM.

2001 F350 V10 4x4 w/ 2003 FWC Hawk

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 

#19 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 June 2022 - 05:29 PM

You mentioned having a white knuckle experience driving in windy areas so let me add two additional components to consider…

Since you’re going to get smaller diameter tires (;-) ) please make sure they’re E rated for the stiffer sidewall.

Also do you have a rear sway bar on your truck? It will make a huge difference in high wind situations.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#20 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 June 2022 - 01:11 PM

It is true that going to a higher number gearing does reduce the size of the pinion gear. I put about 150k miles on a set of 4.88's that were already in the truck when I bought it. Sold the truck with them still in it and going strong. Research which mfg of gears people are getting the most service life out of. Break them in on dino oil, and then put in brand name synthetic (Mobil 1, Redline, etc.).

In my case the 4.88's and 33-10.50 tires "corrected" the speedometer. Said differently, that tire size and gearing combo restored the factory speedo calibration. Right now you're traveling further than your odometer is indicating and the trans' shift points are off because of this.

Also know that it is a fact of life with Toyota engines that if you use their full power band that they do use a little oil. I could drive that truck as a DD for months and not use a drop, but take it on a big trip where I was spinning lots of revs (to get over those same NV passes) and at the end of the trip it would be down a 1/4 to 1/2 quart. My current 3.0L is the same way. I do not see this as a negative, just as something to be aware of.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users