• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 15 June 2022 - 11:50 AM

I had an Eagle on a v8 Dakota at one time.  I had to plan on passing anyone about 15 mins ahead of time.  I didn't have the gearing you are talking about and we didn't/don't drive fast but it was kind of scary but probably 18mpg.  Then I went to a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel.  That was a great setup.  An Eagle on a full-size pickup means the FWC was behind the cab more and we go 21mpg and great power.  The issue there was (even with upgrades) we were still overweight and were more worried about the brakes.  Now, we have a 1 ton, 6.6L, diesel with a flatbed.  No issues.  Of course, we get about 17mpg.

I guess what I'm saying is there are trade-offs with any rigs (cost, fuel, etc.) and you have to find that balance.  If the truck meets your needs, I think the gearing will help with the "power" but not the other things.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#22 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 21 June 2022 - 05:24 PM

A little late for the original poster - but I found the following video of a 3rd Gen Tacoma owner who claims at the end of the video the need to boogie down the road with the transmission set to 4th gear.  Keep in mind that the Tacoma has 6 available gears.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:25 PM

Running in 4th makes sense.  Torque (and thus best mpg) peak is over 4000 RPM. 

Enough Already! Your Truck's T, HP and RPM Explained | Tacoma World

#24 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 03:03 AM

What Ski3pin said is right. You can't change the drag coefficient of your rig with add ons. Air resistance increases as the square of velocity, so doubling your speed quadruples the air resistance. Air resistance at 80 mph is four times the resistance at 40 mph. With a head wind, it only gets worse as the effect is like you are increasing your speed.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#25 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 26 June 2022 - 03:30 AM

That article linked from NASA indicated that you can indeed alter the drag coefficient of a vehicle with "add-on" devises. You may not be able to make a huge, dramatic change, but you can change it.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#26 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 06 July 2022 - 11:43 PM

It is true that going to a higher number gearing does reduce the size of the pinion gear. I put about 150k miles on a set of 4.88's that were already in the truck when I bought it. Sold the truck with them still in it and going strong. Research which mfg of gears people are getting the most service life out of. Break them in on dino oil, and then put in brand name synthetic (Mobil 1, Redline, etc.).

In my case the 4.88's and 33-10.50 tires "corrected" the speedometer. Said differently, that tire size and gearing combo restored the factory speedo calibration. Right now you're traveling further than your odometer is indicating and the trans' shift points are off because of this.

Also know that it is a fact of life with Toyota engines that if you use their full power band that they do use a little oil. I could drive that truck as a DD for months and not use a drop, but take it on a big trip where I was spinning lots of revs (to get over those same NV passes) and at the end of the trip it would be down a 1/4 to 1/2 quart. My current 3.0L is the same way. I do not see this as a negative, just as something to be aware of.

Thom,

I'm curious about your statement that it is a fact of life that Toyota engines "use a little oil" when their full power band is utilized, as not only have I never heard this before, but it goes directly against pretty extensive personal experience, from the days when I hauled a trailer full of sea kayaks around Mexico with my FJ40 up to today. We towed the Overland Expo command trailer back and forth across the country several times (and up the Mogollon Rim to Expo West nearly a dozen times) with our 2012 Tacoma with a Four Wheel Camper also on it. We travelled extensively in a 1993 Toyota pickup powered by a 22RE, mounted with, first, a Wildernest, then a FWC. Then a 2000 Tacoma with the V6 and a FWC. Then the 2012. I just finished hauling a cargo trailer full of household goods from Tucson to Alaska with a 2014 Tundra powered by the 4.6 V8. In not one of those vehicles did such use produce the slightest trace of oil use. The only Toyota we own that uses any oil at all is our 1993 HZJ 75 (with 280,000 km on it), which burns a half quart or so every 2,000 km, no matter what we're doing with it.

Edited by JHanson, 06 July 2022 - 11:47 PM.

#27 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:20 AM

My eagle (2011) was first on my 5 speed 4 cylinder Tacoma. I wanted to put a sign on the back... I'm peddling as fast as I can! Went down to 3rd on many a hill. I found myself rocking in my seat urging her on!!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#28 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 July 2022 - 12:39 AM

Both my 22R (before and after the engine shop that I worked in rebuilt it) and the 4A-GE consumed just a little bit of oil if you used the upper rev range for any extended time period (like say 3rd gear at 55 pulling the grade on the 6 going West into Tonopah). I put 125k+ on the 22R overall and it was always like that. Other 22R drivers that I mentioned this to thought it normal. I've read others say the same about the later engines.

I never saw the 2F in the FJ60 exhibit this phenomenon.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#29 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:47 AM

My eagle (2011) was first on my 5 speed 4 cylinder Tacoma. I wanted to put a sign on the back... I'm peddling as fast as I can! Went down to 3rd on many a hill. I found myself rocking in my seat urging her on!!

I miss my four cylinder 2015 Tacoma Access Cab with a 5 speed manual, but you are correct with regards to down shifting into 3rd to stay in the peak power band of the 2.7 liter when headed up steep inclines.  I just upgraded to a 2005 Tundra SR5 access cab, with a 4.7 V8 that has gobs of torque at 2000 rpm. 

Due to the current market craziness, the Tacoma sold for more than what I paid for in 2015.

P.S. Old habits die hard - even with the V8, I'll push the button at the end of the shift lever to switch off the overdrive on a steep incline when the camper is mounted.  There is no temperature gauge for the automatic transmission on a 2005 Tundra. 

Edited by TacomaAustin, 07 July 2022 - 01:52 AM.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#30 rruff

rruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationRuidoso, NM

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:39 AM

Air resistance increases as the square of velocity, so doubling your speed quadruples the air resistance. Air resistance at 80 mph is four times the resistance at 40 mph.

True. Fuel consumption to overcome wind resistance should be roughly proportional to V^2 as well. These things are aero bricks and adding a camper doesn't help...

Just as an example, say at 65 mph, flat and no wind, 70% of your resistance is aero and 30% rolling, and you are getting 15.0 mpg. At 85 mph it would drop to 11.0 mpg. Slowing down is the best thing you can do to reduce fuel consumption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users