• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 June 2022 - 09:35 PM

My mechanic tells me there are standard brakes and premium quality in the past though lately he finds all seem to be being made of cheaper steel (less carbon?) As I now have the camper on full time and the brakes are about due for a change, I was wondering if there is a company who specializes in brakes that are of a higher quality and durability? He used to believe aftermarket brakes were as good but lately has drifted back to OEM. 

I have thought to check out the Overland portal as well but thought I'd try here first as FWC folks must have the specific experience with what we haul around.  My truck is a 2016 Chevy mini diesel Colorado. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 11 June 2022 - 12:09 AM

Rob,

Standard brake discs are made of cast iron, not steel, although I wouldn't be surprised if cheap ones use lower-quality ingredients. If you've upgraded your pads and brake fluid (from DOT 3 to DOT 4 or 5.1), the only way to genuinely improve braking is with larger/wider/heavier discs. 

Jonathan

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 June 2022 - 12:15 AM

Thanks Jonathan, Do you recommend a source who makes wider heavier disks?

BTW... you helped me way back when I first got the Colorado... I love this mini diesel lots of power. We drove from New England to AK across the Yukon, we crossed Labrador and Newfoundland and lots of mean roads in the North Marine Woods. It has done great. 

Henry David Thoreau

#4 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 01:13 AM

I don't have a Chevy, I have a Ford.  I usually find I get better info on my truck mechanicals from the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum - www.ford-trucks.com - than I get on RV forums.  You might consider searching for a similar Chevy truck forum.  If it's anything like the Ford site, they will have separate sub forums on both your specific model, the Colorado, as well as one dedicated to brakes and suspensions.  It's just a thought . . . 

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 June 2022 - 02:32 AM

I did a quick scan of the GM forums and it seems folks are generally really happy - impressed even - with the Colorado/Canyon brakes.  Have you noticed a problem with yours?  As a general rule of thumb, if you can get the Anti-lock brake mechanism to fire off, then your stopping ability is not limited by the brakes, but by your tires. Upgrading tires can reduce your braking distance. 

On the racetrack, brakes a major concern because the cars are de/accelerating as quickly as possible.  Doing that repeatedly overwhelms the brake rotors ability to shed heat.  Long hills can be an issue in RV's, but you don't have that problem in your rig since long hills are managed pretty easily with the exhaust brake on your diesel.  

#6 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 11 June 2022 - 03:43 AM

Interesting, I'm trying to find an upgraded system for my Chevy as well. I have ordered these by Power Stop.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have great reviews and I'm optimistic. 

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 June 2022 - 11:09 AM

Cpt, I have to admit those look and sound good and knowing next to nothing about brakes makes a a more difficult task to weed out the bright and shiny from tried and true. I wish that were the answer but they don't make brakes for my Colorado from what I could find at their website. 

Vic I guess the reason I was wanting to beef up the brakes isn't because they have not been good stopping the truck but the length of time it takes to wear out. Carrying that camper adds a lot more to the variables that wear them out. I really like the diesel load/tow mode with the diesel brake. I can usually take the foot off the brake and glide down with an occasional tap. I live in the Berkshires on VT border and there is nothing but up and down (The VT motto is : "Vermont, It's not flat"). 

I have replaced the rear brakes at 35K miles and now at 55K and will do the front and probably need doing the rear as well. I am trying to be frugal in the longterm.  More than likely I will get OEM premium but thought it worth the hunt for beefier it they existed. Thanks for your input.

Henry David Thoreau

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 June 2022 - 01:49 PM

Rob-

you’re right in that rotor quality is not as good as they have been and with the added demands of the additional weight on your rig you’re right in looking to upgrade if possible.

In heavy duty applications like you have and in racing the use of “Cryoed”  rotors has shown to be beneficial. We’ve used rotors from Frozen Rotors in both my F-350 for my truck camper and in my Porsche race car. I swear by them…

https://frozenrotors...&sid=ni7ZdErcXI

There is also a whole scientific discussion about pads as well, much too long to get into here but basically you can get pads with a sharper initial bite when cold but will wear faster or get longer lasting pads that don’t have as strong of an initial bite. Performance Friction, as well as several others, make a series of different pads depending on your application and desire.

Edited by smlobx, 11 June 2022 - 01:52 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 June 2022 - 02:55 PM

Those look mighty fine Eddie! Thanks so much for the steer...I'll start my reading and talk to the mechanic (he also has a camper). 

Yet another area to learn about. 

Rob

Henry David Thoreau

#10 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 11 June 2022 - 04:11 PM

Rob,

I found this for the Colorado.

https://partshawk.co...t-colorado.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic