• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 June 2022 - 05:31 PM

You found what I couldn't! Thanks for the link . I'll check that out.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#12 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 11 June 2022 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Jonathan, Do you recommend a source who makes wider heavier disks?

BTW... you helped me way back when I first got the Colorado... I love this mini diesel lots of power. We drove from New England to AK across the Yukon, we crossed Labrador and Newfoundland and lots of mean roads in the North Marine Woods. It has done great. 

I remember it well! I'm glad it's worked as well as we both hoped!

#13 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 05:54 PM

Interesting, I'm trying to find an upgraded system for my Chevy as well. I have ordered these by Power Stop.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have great reviews and I'm optimistic. 

The ad does not say if their rotors are larger or wider than stock, which means they almost certainly are not. Drilling for "cooling" does absolutely zero; that's pure marketing hype. Drilling reduces the mass of the rotor, and the rotor relies on mass to absorb and dissipate heat. I've seen ads for drilled rotors that actually boast about how much weight it saves—arrant nonsense.

People get confused because they're always told about reducing unsprung weight. Drilling brake discs is not the way to accomplish that. 

Linking to this article again. Please read!

Edited by JHanson, 12 June 2022 - 12:20 AM.

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 June 2022 - 11:27 PM

Sounds like your brakes are good, just wearing faster than you like? Replacing pads is easy… are your rotors wearing out too?

I treat brakes like oil and tires . Keep them clean = frequent fluid flush/inflated, and replace them often = pads/ filter/rotation.

#15 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 12:27 AM

Here is a company that advertises a "big brake kit" for the Colorado. It might be worth investigating. Some of these kits require going up in wheel size as well; others manage to employ a slightly larger diameter or thicker rotor within the stock wheel size.

Edited by JHanson, 12 June 2022 - 12:29 AM.

#16 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 June 2022 - 12:32 AM

The ad does not say if their rotors are larger or wider than stock, which means they almost certainly are not. Drilling for "cooling" does absolutely zero; that's pure marketing hype. Drilling reduces the mass of the rotor, and the rotor relies on mass to absorb and dissipate heat. I've seen ads for drilled rotors that actually boast about how much weight it saves—arrant nonsense.

People get confused because they're always told about reducing unsprung weight. Drilling brake discs is not the way to accomplish that. 

Linking to this article again. Please read!

I could not agree more!

drilled rotors are pure marketing BS. Slotted rotors have some benefits in a racing environment but for this application are not necessary.

Edited by smlobx, 12 June 2022 - 12:32 AM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#17 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2022 - 03:19 PM

After a lot of hand wringing I decided to go for broke (that about says the price!) and ordered the Frozen brakes and their pads (which when I called they said the photo of the box is generic...those pads are not racing pads but for street fleet vehicles. If these last as long as they say it will be worth the extra $$$. I will let y'all know when the are installed after July 4th!

Edited by buckland, 28 June 2022 - 03:05 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#18 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 July 2022 - 11:52 PM

I have the new brakes installed and as soon as have a couple hundred miles on them I will report in on these cyro-metal brakes wirth kevlar pads.    BUT of course there ia always what next? ... The lug nuts. I read a thread some time ago about these (to me) new two layer lug nuts, with the shell. About half of mine are loose and as I hate to think of a flat tire I would hate to have even more trouble with the shell casing  snapping off and then the nut beneath being smaller etc. So time to replace these. The mechanic said he prefers the steel painted ones that are capped to keep the studs from rusting.  I have a Chevy Colorado. Anyone know of an aftermarket decent basic capped lug nut, Chrome or Painted steel. Don't think I will put on the stock jacketed ones again.

Henry David Thoreau

#19 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 July 2022 - 12:02 AM

Rob Congratulation on getting the Cryoed Rotors. Please pay particular attention to how they recommend bedding them in. Once done they should give you long life.

Speaking of your brake system ….have you ever flushed your brake fluid? Thoughts vary on this but every 4 years for regular performance vehicles is what I do. As you probably know brake fluid is highly hydroscopic and even the smallest amount of water in the system can degrade the performance.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#20 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 July 2022 - 01:06 AM

I was made aware of the break in for the first 200 miles from my mechanic.. I have a diesel with a exhaust brake that minimizes my brake usage so I hope that helps too. Thanks again for the rec. it
Was costly but if it is best over time than I feel better. And yes I had the brake lines flushed and new fluid! 4

Edited by buckland, 13 July 2022 - 01:07 AM.

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users