#1 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBayfield Colorado

Posted 12 June 2022 - 05:04 PM

We have a bobcat and the gray PVC material is getting pinched at the seal when popping down. We're using flexible plastic buddy knives to tuck this material in these spots mostly towards the front. However, I'm wondering if we could use an iron (on low heat) to reshape this material so it less prone to pinching? Anyone had this problem and developed other ideas to reshape the material to prevent pinching. 

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 June 2022 - 05:20 PM

That just might do the trick.  IMO, a heat gun or hair dryer would be safer.  

Edit:  have you talked to ATC?

I am haunted by waters

#3 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 June 2022 - 05:31 PM

. . . Anyone had this problem and developed other ideas to reshape the material to prevent pinching. 

Since I use a speaker stand to raise and lower the roof it is easy to stop a couple of times while closing to tuck in the soft sides.  Easy to do from the inside except for behind the lift panels, there I must go outside and stand on the truck.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#4 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 12 June 2022 - 06:37 PM

We have a bobcat and the gray PVC material is getting pinched at the seal when popping down. We're using flexible plastic buddy knives to tuck this material in these spots mostly towards the front. However, I'm wondering if we could use an iron (on low heat) to reshape this material so it less prone to pinching? Anyone had this problem and developed other ideas to reshape the material to prevent pinching. 

Are you using the bungee cords and are they still tight?  I haven't had that issue except when not using the bungee cords.

That being said, I have noticed that I can see the PVC siding along the front and rear edge when the roof is locked down.  But it does not hang out of the roof overhang.

20220612_123059-L.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 June 2022 - 06:57 PM

Can you post a photo of the pinching? That may help, thank you.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 07:18 PM

Be careful if you decide heat is the way to go, over application of heat can delaminate the pvc coating from the fabric and accelerate the aging process causing the coating to become brittle.  

#7 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 09:32 PM

RE a photo of the pinching that ski3pin asked for. Mine looks exactly like jimjxsn's photo. You can see where the material is starting to wear where it rubs on the unpopped roof. 

#8 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 09:35 PM

Oh yeah the bungees are tight and I've even tried using river cam straps to tighten more to pull the material inward and it didn't help. Also this pinching is only over a 1-2' section on the front left and right of the camper. I'll call Marty and see what he suggests. 

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 June 2022 - 10:45 PM

RE a photo of the pinching that ski3pin asked for. Mine looks exactly like jimjxsn's photo. You can see where the material is starting to wear where it rubs on the unpopped roof. 

I got it, thanks.

In regards to the bungee cords and pulling the material inward when lowering the roof. I close the door and turn the roof fan on high blowing out. I pull the front rod and then allow the suction from the fan to pull the roof down and then repeat with the rear lift panel. It pulls the sideline material in tight.

Marty of Jeff at ATC (800-446-1003) are the best source on working on the material.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 June 2022 - 12:09 AM

Oh yeah the bungees are tight and I've even tried using river cam straps to tighten more to pull the material inward and it didn't help. Also this pinching is only over a 1-2' section on the front left and right of the camper. I'll call Marty and see what he suggests. 

When you lower the top,if you have a vent fan close the door and

start the fan at full speed.

That will pull the material in and should prevent it from pinching.

I have been doing this for many years and it works great.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users