34 replies to this topic

#11 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 18 June 2022 - 01:02 AM

Dean's comment is spot on.

We have a 1993 Dodge W250 and Michelin LTX and Defender LTX tires for years.  Recently I switched to Michelin Agilis CrossClimate. 3 peak rated.  I estimate our driving is 90% on pavement of some kind mostly dry buy also wet and snow (not always smooth) and 10% off pavement of which less than 5% is rough 4WD track. 

I also tried 235 width and find 215/85 work best on my truck.

The new Michelin's are holding up well so far - they were put on new before our 82 day Alaska/Canada trip last summer,

P.S. I forgot to add that I have always gotten at least 60,000 miles out of these tires and typically closer to 70,000 before the wear bars are even with the tread.

Edited by ckent323, 25 June 2022 - 05:32 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#12 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 18 June 2022 - 04:47 AM

The heavier tire does impact your mileage.

I was pleasantly surprised that mileage in our KO2 (different from KO, not sure how much) was about the same as our P-rated tires. The E-rated tires were 50 lbs (37 for the P-rated tires, so they were 36% higher), and unsprung weight is supposed to affect mileage. Perhaps the much higher pressures made up for that. We run the KO2s at 47/62 (front/rear), and the P-rated tires were at 35/35.

We are averaging 18 mpg, but drive slower than most people on the freeway. Eyes on rear view mirror -- trying not to hold up traffic!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#13 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 12:52 PM

If your not doing heavy off roading. Michelin LTXs performed well on my 2WD Tundra, can't tell you anything about performance in snow and I do not recommend them in mud as the clog instantly. I'm running Cooper ATPs on my F250 4X4 now and I'm very pleased with them as an all around tire.

#14 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 18 June 2022 - 01:21 PM

I have used the Michelin LTX, Cooper Discoverer AT3 and the BFG KO2.

Michelins.. got 37 k out of them, so so in the snow..

Coopers .. got about 40k out of the them, terrible in the snow.. 

BFG .. Current, now have 15k on them, still look practically new. The best of the 3 in the snow. 

I feel the the BFG are the quietest of the bunch surprisingly, but the others were not bad. MPG is about the same with all tires. 

I would say whatever you can find a deal on would be worth it, but so far I am partial to the BFG, will kind of depend on how many miles I get out of them.. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#15 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 01:42 PM

Howdy

This is probably common knowledge but I believe the BFG KO2 tires are sold both with and without the winter use "snowflake" rating.

They certainly are surprisingly quiet and smooth on the highway for such a tread profile.

David Graves

#16 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 18 June 2022 - 03:20 PM

Yes, comments on performance depending on the intended vehicle is spot on. Despite my experience with them on a heavier truck, I think the KO2s would be a good choice for your set-up. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#17 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 04:47 PM

KO2's here.  I was almost convinced to try some coopers, but they don't make my size in the "XLT" variety, so when I get new tires soon... Sticking w/ the KO2's. 

(Cooper Discoverer LT's have less aggressive tread.. XLT's are the offroad ones)

#18 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 18 June 2022 - 07:54 PM

Howdy

This is probably common knowledge but I believe the BFG KO2 tires are sold both with and without the winter use "snowflake" rating.

They certainly are surprisingly quiet and smooth on the highway for such a tread profile.

David Graves

Agree with you on that.. I expected a louder tire for as aggressive the tread profile is.. but.. its not.. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#19 UmkaAndHawk

UmkaAndHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 June 2022 - 02:29 PM

Your best tire will depend on all of your demands. Here's my brief review of the General Grabber ATx

Pro

Quiet, great snow rating (a hair better in reviews than the ever-popular K02), inexpensive, even looks good (it's a copy of the K02 from tread design)

Con

When pressured high (which you can do with e-rated tires) I have been unimpressed by its traction on wide well graded gravel roads.

What I mean here is, compared to my subaru, it feels like it fishtails more.

We're happy with the tire. It's tough and grips well over rocks and big features. It's been fine in the snow, although, again, the subaru is better.  It's remarkably quiet (I would have thought all-terrains were noisy and I understand some are). But, and I'm new to this, I kinda expected subaru-like traction on my truck, which may be asking too much!

Hope this helps.

Edited by UmkaAndHawk, 19 June 2022 - 02:30 PM.

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 June 2022 - 08:42 PM

3rd set of Yokohama Geolandar’s for me. Great on snow and ice, did really well in Utah again this spring, very quiet on the highway too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users