• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AndyT

AndyT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 02:08 PM

I know there are a lot of posts about this, but any additional advice would be much appreciated. I'm looking at a used 6 ft. Hawk shell to put on a 5.5 ft. bed of a crew cab F150. My truck has a payload of a little over 2,000 lbs. The Hawk is roughly half that, so I'm not worried about payload, but I am worried about the length of the camper in the bed and having that additional weight off the bed. Guessing I'd leave the tailgate on for a little extra stability, but should I be concerned about tongue weight? Any mods to the suspension, even though I'd be way under payload? 

Thanks for the help! 

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 22 June 2022 - 02:55 PM

To lower a spare tire from the mount under the truck bed you insert a long rod through a hole usually right above the license plate. That hole is blocked when the tailgate is down. So you will need to find a different way to lower the spare or carry it somewhere else if you leave the tailgate in the down position with the camper on.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 June 2022 - 04:35 PM

Doesn't seem like a 6" rear overhang should be any problem.

The access to the spare is more important.

To place the spare some place else would be more of an inconvenience,IMO.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:21 PM

My bigger concern would be how much weight is on the rear axle and what is the GRAWR.

If you are pulling a trailer the tongue weight needs to be adjusted for the extension to get the ball beyond the lowered tailgate.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 11:43 AM

It will be fine but you have to take some precautions. When you put the camper on the truck and the rear of the truck squats down you will need some air shocks or Suomo Springs or some other rear leaf spring help in order to level the truck or have a slightly raised rear. When loading the camper for a trip put all the heavy stuff up front (water, firewood, gear). Don't hang anything off the back (bikes, water cans, fuel cans, gear, etc.). Take the tailgate off, otherwise you are just adding weight back there where you don't want it. Common sense stuff that applies to all truck campers.

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 01:20 PM

"Hawk weighs roughly half of that" You might be surprised once you get that rig loaded with gear and food + people.

#7 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 June 2022 - 09:57 PM

I never gave it much thought until I saw this post. My ATC Bobcat measures 80” and hangs out the back of my Tacoma by 8”. I don’t use the tailgate because it would interfere with lowering the spare, and I think it would make it more difficult to climb thru the door.
Never had any problems with this arrangement.

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 June 2022 - 11:34 PM

I never gave it much thought until I saw this post. My ATC Bobcat measures 80” and hangs out the back of my Tacoma by 8”. I don’t use the tailgate because it would interfere with lowering the spare, and I think it would make it more difficult to climb thru the door.
Never had any problems with this arrangement.

You nailed it…

I am haunted by waters

#9 AndyT

AndyT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 06:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for the help and insight! 

#10 vmurnane

vmurnane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 08:11 PM

I know there are a lot of posts about this, but any additional advice would be much appreciated. I'm looking at a used 6 ft. Hawk shell to put on a 5.5 ft. bed of a crew cab F150. My truck has a payload of a little over 2,000 lbs. The Hawk is roughly half that, so I'm not worried about payload, but I am worried about the length of the camper in the bed and having that additional weight off the bed. Guessing I'd leave the tailgate on for a little extra stability, but should I be concerned about tongue weight? Any mods to the suspension, even though I'd be way under payload? 

Thanks for the help! 

Thanks for the help! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, hawk, f150

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users