Photo
- - - - -

Toyota dealer wouldn't work on my truck w/ camper attached.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 07:51 PM

Has anyone had trouble getting their truck worked on w/ the camper attached?
I need to have some work done for the first time since I bought it a couple years ago.
It's a Tacoma w/ Fleet, flatbed.  Previous owner had all work done at dealers, including oil changes.  They kept up w/ all the other fluid changes according to the maintenance schedule.  Seems like a good way to go if I don't want to keep track of all that on my own.  (I have been doing oil changes on my own.. but previous owner didn't).  Anyway, I take it to the dealer.. I need a new CV axle.  They said, I don't think we can get that on our lifts, and sent me away. 

Rigs like this aren't common where I live.. And previous owner was on the west coast.. I have invoices from Alaska, Canada, Oregon, California, and Mexico.. Every 5000 miles, all toyota dealers..  So, maybe dealers here just don't know how to handle something like this.. not sure..

I've only tried one place so far, so.. Not a big sampling, but not a good start. 

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 June 2022 - 10:25 PM

I had a problem with the  Folsom Lake Dodge dealer on a specific issue (steering related) but  Elk Grove Dodge has never said anything about the camper.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 11:12 PM

nope. but it doesn't surprise me. I am waiting to see what happens when I take our new 21 in for service though. 

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#4 byrdlover

byrdlover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, CA

Posted 26 June 2022 - 11:15 PM

I've had my Tacoma serviced several times with my ATC Bobcat loaded and have never had a problem. In fact, the first time I had it serviced (major service) with the camper on, I called ahead to see if I needed to remove it and they said no (Hansel Toyota, Petaluma). I'm not sure if they would feel differently if I needed suspension or axle work.

2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4

2018 ATC Bobcat

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 June 2022 - 11:17 PM

I have taken my 2002 Tundra/Bobcat with camper on to my local dealer,Monterey,Ca.

No problem.

I have changed the CV joint on my own and there's no need to place the truck on a lift,IMO.

I have had fluids changed ,oil services,tires rotated,and front brake work.

No problem.

Sure hope I don't run into a service that needs to have the camper removed as I don't have jacks or brackets.

ATC has used the tri-pod camper jacks to remove and replace my camper from one truck to another.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 June 2022 - 11:47 PM

Our 2019 Tundra with a 2019 Hawk does not seem to cause the Toyota dealer in Portland Oregon any problems. Not even with our Wilco swing hitch and a bike rack on back. Where do you live?

Edited by AWG_Pics, 26 June 2022 - 11:47 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#7 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:21 AM

I'm in MO. 
Not a lot of campers like this, here.

This is a little OT, but what do you think about independent neighborhood mechanics?  I'm sure anyone can change a front axle.. (I could do it if I had time).  But, otoh, I'd want to be sure they reassemble everything to spec, and not just impact tighten it to whatever.. I'm not sure how independent mechanics get their info....

(I'm an IT consultant for a few car dealers, but they're all chevy.. And they get a printout of exactly what to do, what each torque spec is, step by step instructions, for just about every job.  But that system is for dealers only. .Its access is locked to the dealers IP. Independents can't even buy into the system.)

#8 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:47 AM

I would try another dealer, the bigger the better, before going independent. Dealers sometimes screw up, but have the expertise to fix their screw ups.

Just drive it in to service like you done it a hundred times before. No talk other than tell them what you want. Then say you would appreciate a ride home and they can call when done.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 27 June 2022 - 12:50 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#9 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:04 AM

I haven't had any issues with my Ford and the camper on... however, I can see why maybe a mechanic wouldn't want the extra liability risk in case something happened..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 June 2022 - 03:45 AM

Some lifts are not able to lift heavy.  BUT, the dealership should have the latest/best.  Odd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users