Photo
- - - - -

Toyota dealer wouldn't work on my truck w/ camper attached.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:21 PM

In my case it wasn't weight they were concerned with. Its actually better balanced with the camper on than without. It was something to the effect that we can't adjust it properly unless its in the stock condition. I've never been back.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 02:56 PM

Never had a problem at any Dodge dealer I've taken it to,  and I have a 3/4 ton with a Grandby on a 6' 3" bed.

#23 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 05 July 2022 - 01:47 AM

This sounds to me like an over-the-top way to avoid any kind of culpability if something happened on their lift. The issue with lifting a Tacoma with camper isn't weight, it's balance and the flex in the open-channel rear section of the chassis. Normally the rear lifting pads could be placed pretty far forward on an empty truck given the nose-heavy weight distribution; if you put them in the same spot on a Tacoma carrying a camper you'd run the risk of, at least, flexing the chassis behind the pads. Your flat-bed configuration probably set off even more alarm bells.

Edited by JHanson, 05 July 2022 - 01:47 AM.

#24 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 July 2022 - 04:15 AM

Most above ground lifts have a shut off switch directly under the cross channel that the cables go from tower to tower.  That switch will stop the lift from going any higher to keep from smashing the roof into that channel.   

When I lifted my K5/Camper combo on one it would not get high enough to allow me to stand up straight.  I normally could on any other full size truck on that lift without a camper on it. 

I'm betting the dealer got spooked over the possible liability of anything happening in their shop.  Plus with the lack of quality techs out there they may have been worried what a lesser experienced guy could do to it.  

Honestly I'd be thankful they bowed out.  They may not have been exactly clear on the reasons why, but it's better they said no than took it in and damaged it.  

Call around.   Somebody is capable to work on it.  

#25 Augs_N_Brandy

Augs_N_Brandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 06 July 2022 - 03:39 AM

I've pretty much lost faith in most dealership service centers, so I went to Ron Tonkin Toyota in Portland a few months back just to pick up a oil filter from the parts dept to do my own oil change.  When I parked out front, an employee came out & complimented my truck/camper combo.  He told me he was a manager in the service center.  I said I was there to pick up an oil filter from the parts dept, but I'm curious if your service center could/would work on my truck w/ the camper on if I wanted them to.  He said No, and actually invited me in and walked me around 2 or 3 different areas of the shop showing me a bunch of the lifts & explaining to me why each respective lift couldn't handle either the weight, balance, or headroom.  He also told me that they didn't have a single creeper in the shop. I couldn't tell how much of what he said was legit, or just trying to avoid liability, but I did remember thinking to myself about how the heck they deal with a rigged up Tundra, if they can't handle my Tacoma/Swift???

#26 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 July 2022 - 04:14 PM

Interesting. I go to Broadway Toyota in Portland and never get even the slightest hint about a problem. The only questions they ask are: what service am I in for and will I wait in the waiting room until it is finished.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#27 Augs_N_Brandy

Augs_N_Brandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:42 AM

Interesting. I go to Broadway Toyota in Portland and never get even the slightest hint about a problem. The only questions they ask are: what service am I in for and will I wait in the waiting room until it is finished.

I bought my truck at Portland Toyota on Broadway in Feb 2019.  Brought it back to their Service Center months later for my 1st free oil change & was severely scared of the level of service & competency that I experienced there.  Among other things, they did NOT change my oil even though they said they did. Scary! I vowed to never bring my truck there again.  Have you had OK experiences at the service center there?

Edited by Augs_N_Brandy, 07 July 2022 - 03:43 AM.

#28 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:50 AM

Our Everett WA Toyota dealer didn't balk at the camper when we brought it in for the free oil changes when it was new. Next oil change will be at home! I need to do a front-end alignment soon though, not something I'd tackle. I wonder if all those rough roads are kinda tough on the alignment. Seems like our tires are wearing faster than I hoped, just like mentioned on the tire threads here.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#29 Augs_N_Brandy

Augs_N_Brandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:54 AM

Our Everett WA Toyota dealer didn't balk at the camper when we brought it in for the free oil changes when it was new. Next oil change will be at home! I need to do a front-end alignment soon though, not something I'd tackle. I wonder if all those rough roads are kinda tough on the alignment. Seems like our tires are wearing faster than I hoped, just like mentioned on the tire threads here.

In case you're not aware: FWC dealer Mule Expedition outfitters in Prescott, Wa has an alignment machine at their shop.

#30 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:28 PM

I bought my truck at Portland Toyota on Broadway in Feb 2019.  Brought it back to their Service Center months later for my 1st free oil change & was severely scared of the level of service & competency that I experienced there.  Among other things, they did NOT change my oil even though they said they did. Scary! I vowed to never bring my truck there again.  Have you had OK experiences at the service center there?

I have been using Broadway Toyota for at least 15 years or more. I took my Camry, RAV4, Highlander, my wife's Highlander and now my Tundra there with no issues at all.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users