• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TroyPerk!

TroyPerk!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:48 AM

I have recently acquired an Outfitter Caribou 6.5 pop-up slide in truck camper. I am now in the search for a new truck to manage such a camper safely and efficiently.
We’ve landed in an F-150

Specifically a 2018 or newer F-150 with the following options:
-6.5 ft bed
-SuperCrew cab
-5.0L V8 motor
-Payload capacity of greater than 1800lbs on the door sticker, preferably with the heavy duty payload package
-Middle console instead of folding front seat/split bench
-Hoping for 110k miles or less.
-Budget is ~34k or less
Please reach out to me if you have a good option of know of one!!!

#2 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:01 PM

I don't have any great leads, but thought I would  throw this out there. I have a HDPP truck and love it, never have to worry about weight.  They are somewhat challenging to find used because used dealers have no clue what they have most of the time. When I was looking I realized that all you need is the door sticker showing the GVWR.. if its 7850, its a HDPP.  We found 2 at the same dealership who was willing to ship to us for free (VA to CO. Good luck on your search!

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#3 TroyPerk!

TroyPerk!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the insight on the HDPP. I have been looking specifically for the HDPP. Found one about 14 hours away and then noticed another at a dealership I was already at. It looked like it had seen some SERIOUS use. Had some damage here and there and I ultimately determined that the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze for that particular rig. So the search continues. I plan to reach out the the dealer with the truck out of state to see about shipping or transport of some kind, though my guess is that free won’t be in their vernacular.

I also found this interesting article on an other forum about someone’s search for the elusive used HDPP. It’s pretty well written and ultimately is nearly my exact situation.

https://www.airforum...ide-231072.html

#4 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 01 July 2022 - 06:59 PM

Yes, I think a lot are used as work trucks so keep an eye out for that..

That link is good, but there are some errors in it.. Dealers have no clue what they have making the search difficult for sure, but I was able to find one pretty quickly once I knew I wanted one, in fact dealer I bought from had 2 on the lot during that time, one with a 3.5 and one with the 5.0. I personally think the 5.0 is superior and have had it in 3 trucks. 

You can certainly get a HDPP with a 5.0, I have one.. You can get one with a 8 foot bed (I have one, but of course it has to be a superb and not quad cab), mine is a 2016 and its stock wheels are 18 inch. 

mine has payload capacity of 2611, probably more as we took the back seats out and made a flat platform for the dogs. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Truck, ford, F150, F-150, HDPP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users